iPhone Classic. Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joonyaboy, Sep 30, 2014.

1. joonyaboy, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

What if next year Apple released an iPhone Classic in the form factor of the original 2G iPhone, with the guts of an iphone 6, OIS, and a 4 inch screen. But because of the extra space, the battery would be double or even triple the capacity.

It would satisfy those who want extended battery, a more sturdy phone, a smaller screen but still have all the modern advancements. It wouldn't need to be obsessed with thinness. And each year it gets upgraded internals and bigger battery but the form factor never changes.

Attached Files:

2. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Well I probably...eer....wait! I don't wear watches.

3. iStrat macrumors member

I actually like this idea a lot. I doubt Apple would ever do it though. If it was based on the original iPhone, it would be a 3.5" screen, not 4".

4. g33k macrumors member

g33k

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I loved the original iPhone. I'd probably buy that design again.

6. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Technology never goes backward, and the term classic... Not really thinking that would help sell a smartphone.

7. off_piste macrumors 6502a

8. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Not a dreadful idea, actually quite a nice one, especially for the 4" market. I can't see it happening though as it almost seems like a sort of tacky marketing scheme which Apple aren't really about. This isn't like the iPod Classic that never really left until it did for good, this is reviving old design, not very "innovative".

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Give this to the 4" phone users. Apple will continue it evolution with the 7.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I really think the 6/S/Plus design was what Apple was really going for when they designed the original iPhone... they just had engineering limitations to deal with, and they still had a lot to learn about designing and engineering phones.

That said, I liked the original iPhone design when it came out, but things have gotten better since then. I wouldn't want to go back, even with new internals.

11. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Interesting idea, but no. Too small and fat.

13. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

It's not a bad idea but I have moved on from there, just got a 6s+ and really like it. I wouldn't buy a "Powerbook Classic" or a "Newton Classic" either. :D

14. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

While I would be delighted to go back to a 4 inch phone I'd rather not go back to a classic design. I'd much prefer something along the lines of a 5s as far as style and thickness. My perfect phone would be that size and thickness with less bezel on the top and bottom. I could see the Classic being a special edition though.

15. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

In a heartbeat! Apple could change the side buttons though (to be a bit more stable).

Can you imagine iOS1 running with the current hardware?

16. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I could see a niche small business in gutting old iPhones and replacing the internals with modern components.

17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

It was hard to let go of my iPod classic earlier this year, as I was also letting go of my last ever click wheel. My life is so hard and full of trials I tell ya.

18. shanshor macrumors regular

Meh. The white iPhone 5S was the prettiest iPhone. Make another one of those

19. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I'd rather call it iPhone retro. Although the best design to go back is the hybrid of 4/5 series brick design. I'm talking about chamfered edge glass brick.

20. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

There's two of them.... The champagne gold? Yes that was a good shade of gold.

21. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

Absolutely not. I've had at least a 4.3" screen since 2010. I'm not going back.

22. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

Don't think it's ever going to happen, but a cool idea.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would definitely get one. I think there is about a 0% chance of Apple doing this though.

24. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

People love the idea in theory until they take the chubby, heavy little thing and put it in their pocket.