iPhone cleansing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fireshot91, Jul 31, 2008.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Hi, im new to this forum(even though ive been lurking for about 2 weeks)

i just activated my 2G iPhone about 4 hours ago...LOVING IT, i cant even put it down...my brother has a 3G, so he gave me his 2G(16GB), i also have a 4GB iPod nano, so im kinda old to the iTunes/Mac interface, my iPhone is pretty dirty(i guess my bros face/fingers were oily or something), and it has a lotta fingerprints, can i just clean it with a paper towel straight from the roll, and it wouldnt scratch it or anything. i dont want to clean it with my shirt because i dont want to scratch it, it didnt come with a cloth because well, my brother didnt even give me the actuall case for it, he just gave me the iPhone, and told me to use the same USB cable i use with my iPod(he uses the old one at his work, and new one at home), but i dont mind since i probably wont be using my iPod anymore. so can i just clean it with a papertowel?

2. oclor macrumors regular

paper towel= paper=wood. I would use my shirt over a paper towel haha

3. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Get yourself a microfiber cloth or glasses cleaning cloth.

I wouldnt use chemicals on the phone. Try water and a tiny drop of washing up liquid on a wrung out microfiber, then use a dry microfiber to dry it.

4. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

aiite cool, but on short notice, as of right now, i needa clean it, so for like the next 2 days lets say, use a paper towel wet one, wringed out, n then use a dry one to dry it?

5. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

yeah, but shirt got lint n crap in it...ESPECIALLY my shirt, lol, ive been wearing it for like 2 days(blame Summer vacation lol)...so, i would MOST DEFINITELY not use my shirt..

6. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

the glass screens are pretty scratch resistant. but I think you can do better than a paper towel. like the above guy said. get yourself some microfiber or a lens cloth.

7. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Go to your local optician and pick one up!

Or your local store that sells car valeting stuff and buy a decent quality microfiber.

$1 on a cloth to buff your phone, or use a brillo scourer pad :D Your choice! lol

8. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

lol, im gonna go on Sunday, im kinda busy for the nxt to days, but, any1 know how to close Safari on the iPhone? i dont just mean press the home button(whenever you do that it goes back to the webpage if u click on Safari) i mean like exit Safari, as in the X in top right of the screen(on a desktop/laptop)

and does iPhone force you to have an unlimited data plan? cuz i dont wanna go over my limit!

9. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

10. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Safari doesnt close when u press the home button, apparently it only minimizes...i want it when i press the home button, and then click on Safari, to be a blank page.Can this be done?

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

iKlear Apple Polish. Accept no substitutes!

Apple uses this stuff in their retail stores and I'm totally sold on it. The kit I got came with a big bottle and some soft cloths, which have *knock on wood* never left a scratch on anything. The iPhone screen is way more resistant to scratches than the old iPod screens (which scratched from an evil thought). Their Web site is www.iklear.com. FYI, you can also clean other Mac stuff, like everything on the MacBooks (case, screen) and all other screens and computer stuff.

12. ajj06830 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

13. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Hot Breath Treatment.

Exhale onto the surface and fog it up, then wipe it down with a soft cloth and you're done. I use this same method on my old 1958 Les Paul guitar. Works like a champ.

14. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

Yeah, you can't close safari any more than clicking the home button. Technically, you could open a new window in safari (square with number icon on bottom right) and close out of the one you were in and then click home.

On the other hand, just use your damn shirt. Go get a paper town and add a little water to it. Lightly go over the whole thing to get off any crap. Then use your shirt to buff it. The only part that will even be close to scratching is the Chrome Bezel. Were talking about a optical glass screen that keys wont scratch. As far as I remember, the back won't scratch unless you rub it against concrete (which happened to mine). I'm assuming that since it is used, the chrome is already scratched.

15. TonyMil macrumors member

URL: about:blank
    Add it to your favorites
    When you are done surfing go to your favs and hit the blank page
    Hit the home button
    You are done

As long as you remember to go back to the blank page when you are done you'll always start with a blank page.

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

sometimes i go to google and then shut down, most of the time i dont do anything, just press home.

I use my shirt when out, and a Monster Screen cleaning kit with the included micro fiber cloth when in, use it on all my gadgets, MBP, iPod Touch, Tv, PS3.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

hold down the home button for around 7 seconds until safari closes by itself. dont let go of the home button until it closes

18. J. Dangerously macrumors newbie

Re: Fresh Safari

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I've tried a few things.

1. Making an "about:blank" bookmark doesn't help, because if you open a bookmark from your Home Screen, it opens a new 'tab' anyway.

2. Holding the Home button for several seconds does work to force-quit Safari, but it still opens the last-used page when you launch it again. And it will still open a new tab when you use a Home Screen bookmark.

3. The only thing that works for me is either (A) opening a blank new 'tab' and then closing my first window, or (B) letting my Home Screen bookmark go ahead and load up in a new tab while I close the first.

It's not a real big deal for me, but it would just be nice to have a "close all pages" button for Safari. Oh well. I'm anal.

- Johnny Dangerously