IPhone + cloud + photo stream question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Agent-P, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

So I understand how photo stream works and stuff. However, there's one question I can't seem t find the answer to (here and on google). Maybe I'm just dumb and can't find the obvious, idk. Anyway, I live here in the US, and I love using the iPhone camera to take pictures. When I visit Europe, I put the phone into airplane mode so I can keep using the camera without accidentally causing international charges. Obviously if it's in airplane mode I won't have a data connection and I most likely won't be connected to wifi. So if I take a bunch of photos in this state, will they automatically upload to photo stream when I either reconnect to my data connection when I return to the US or to a wifi network (whichever comes first)? Or will I have to manually upload them? Also, just as a related question; (and I'm not sure if anyone would know this yet) do the photos being uploaded to photo stream count toward my capped data limit?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Steve Jobs said that they will hold the last 1,000 photos in Photostream, so I am assuming that as soon as you can get on wifi that your device will send the most recent images to the cloud.

What do you mean by capped data? Are you asking about your 5GB of iCloud storage or your service provider data?

-iCloud, no it does not
    -Service provider, I only have iOS 5 on my iPod touch (so don't know if it currently works over 3G) but from watching the Keynote, Steve Jobs said that this work over wifi (and I got the impression that this was the only way it will work)

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I think in the Keynote, Steve Jobs said that PhotoStream would not count toward the 5GB limit.

4. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Okay, so I guess I'll just have to try it out when iOS 5 is released. And by capped limit I meant service provider limit. I'd assume it does unless saving107 is right and it only works over wifi and not 3G.

5. shandyman Suspended

Photostream does not count towards the 5Gb limit, that's backup only. Photostream is the last 1,000 pics taken and is only over wifi currently. That's how it was mentioned in the keynote and that's how it's working in the beta. so when you go onto wifi, any pics from the camera roll will go over to photostream. also you can manually add photos to photostream on the mac or windows.