iPhone/Cloud Wifi Access in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dombookpro, Oct 29, 2007.

1. dombookpro macrumors member

Was just looking at the Cloud website, in preparation for the impending iPhone launch... (Yep - It's getting that sad!) - And I discovered something interesting that I thought I would share (forgive me if this has been covered already)

But it appears as tho the O2 Cloud access for the iPhone is going to be administered via the MAC address of the handset:

http://support.thecloud.net/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5380

So in effect, once your particular iPhone's MAC address is registered with Cloud, it should mean an automatic connection to the nearest Cloud hotspot in range - Which, if it works, would be pretty sodding cool. However, the downside is that u won't be able to connect to Cloud hotspots on your laptop when out and about. A small price to pay I say. :)

d

2. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

theres another thread available discussing this- just a few below since ijust posted one ;)

3. dombookpro thread starter macrumors member

hmmm... Just read your post Sweetice, and... er, at the time of reading it has no mention of how the access to Cloud network will work, or indeed, and theories offered as to how this might work... Hence my thread. Or was it the fact that it mentioned the word "Cloud" in the title? A vague post to do with signing up to Cloud and the lack of customer service.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have a look in the iPod Touch forum for how the Cloud service works with iPod Touches. It will be exactly the same - you select The Cloud network the first time you spot it, your MAC address is checked by their systems to ensure that you're allowed to access websites - then next time you're in a Cloud area, you'll automatically connect.

Works pretty well - so long as you can find one of their hotspots. :rolleyes:

5. ibanana macrumors 6502

where is this information in the link provided ?

6. dombookpro thread starter macrumors member

7. ibanana macrumors 6502

cheers