Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott335cook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
The iPhone will be launched on 3 UK in December. This may be delayed as it isn't set in stone**. A small amount of stock will be assigned for new customers with a larger amount set aside for existing customers.

Existing customers can upgrade at a discounted price if they are due for an upgrade OR existing customers can pay the full handset price and start a new contract if they are not due for an upgrade.

This is all the information I have at the moment. **This information hasn't been published because the December launch may be delayed if their isn't enough stock allocated or the network isn't fully prepared.

I bet this makes some of you (including me) happy :). I really hate O2's network :(.

vlinkz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pacific Northwest
People either seem to like 3, or despise them. They have always been great for me so I guess I am lucky. It will be good to be officially supported by 3 with the iPhone as opposed to just using unlocked phones with it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
People either seem to like 3, or despise them. They have always been great for me so I guess I am lucky. It will be good to be officially supported by 3 with the iPhone as opposed to just using unlocked phones with it.

It's the fact that 3 constantly call me on both my landline and my mobile trying to get me to take out a contract with them. I've told them so many times I'm not interested and to stop calling me but they still persist.

vlinkz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pacific Northwest
It's the fact that 3 constantly call me on both my landline and my mobile trying to get me to take out a contract with them. I've told them so many times I'm not interested and to stop calling me but they still persist.

That sounds awful. I get a call once every 3 or so months asking whether I'd like to take a survey but I just say no and don't receive any more calls.

I must say that one major complaint about them is the removal of the "Like Home" service. That really sucked.

scott335cook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009

I may know why. Have you ever had 3 on Pay and go or contract?

scott335cook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I did have a 3 phone on pay and go about 5 years ago yeah, would that have something to do with it :confused:

If you provided them with your address/home number it will. It happened to me, I had to register for my 3 online and goto marketing preferences and untick all the boxes.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
Ask them to remove your details from their records. The data protection act requires them to do this as they have no good reason for holding on to them.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Not a fan of 3. Been on O2 for years and never had any problems don't understand why some people hate them.

Also, where did you get this info from?

AnDy

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I must admit that this story needs a lot of believing! The 3 Network has a terrible reputation and the worst coverage of all UK networks. Someone's having a laugh!:)

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
I know that when 3 first launched they used the o2 network, is this still the case or has their network expanded enough now that they don't use o2 anymore?

Just wondering because if they are still using o2 then the crappy signal and data outages may still be the same?

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
I know that when 3 first launched they used the o2 network, is this still the case or has their network expanded enough now that they don't use o2 anymore?

Just wondering because if they are still using o2 then the crappy signal and data outages may still be the same?

They have their own network, but they give their customers the opportunity to use the Orange network in areas of poor reception (read: everywhere in the UK).

I still wouldn't ever sign back up with them. It took me 2 hours on the phone to try and cancel my contract at the end of the 18 months. The retentions guy just wouldn't take no for an answer.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
They have their own network, but they give their customers the opportunity to use the Orange network in areas of poor reception (read: everywhere in the UK).

I still wouldn't ever sign back up with them. It took me 2 hours on the phone to try and cancel my contract at the end of the 18 months. The retentions guy just wouldn't take no for an answer.

3 have the most 3G coverage of all the 3G networks in the UK. O2 have the worst, which frankly is amazing given that they have an exclusive on the iPhone 3G. I believe O2 have been threatended with a fine if they don't improve their 3G network quickly.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
. Been on O2 for years and never had any problems don't understand why some people hate them.

I have an O2 mobile broadband USB stick.

If I'm in London - brilliant.

Anywhere else - utterly useless. Middle of Leicester ( a large city ) it's dial-up speed, and nothing better. Ditto Birmingham, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Guildford, Liverpool, Bristol. I'll get to try Luton and Glasgow in a fortnight. The Leicester to London train line? Forget it. Totally unusable.

I have no reason to suspect that network coverage and performance would be any better with an iPhone. Hence - I refuse to pay >£400+ on a crap network or what ANYONE should agree, are piss poor contracts.

I will never buy something on the O2 network again.

The 3 network and Orange network coverage and performance are demonstrably the better network. That - I could go for.
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/...and/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Tell me about it. Outsourced to India I guess as well. Three are always late to game, when it comes to getting the very latest top-of-the-line phones, so I'll believe this when I see it.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Never been with 3, but have had enough colleagues on it. I've heard no complaints from them in Cambridge. Same with O2. Of course, when I travel even 10 miles out, I can only get GPRS signal, but I can always make and receive calls.

I think it's good news that another provider will have the iPhone. If we have a choice of providers, maybe in a few months, we can buy the iPhone unlocked from the Apple Store?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
If 3 paid me I still wouldn't use their network.

Same, but that's because once I was stupid enough to pay to use their service. Worst signal I've ever had and to top it off through their CS' incompetence I ended up paying more than double what I signed up to. And that's without mentioning all the lying.

When you fall out of bad 3G signal you default to Orange's 2G signal, unfortunately every time this happened my phone dropped the call. And it happened A LOT.

I'm up north in Scotland and I've always had impeccable signal on O2, but from what I've read they suck in England?

vlinkz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Seems I'm still the only person in the UK who has good experiences with 3.:D
I always have "full signal" and never get any of these strange calls... the customer service has always been helpful too for the full two times I've ever needed it. The only thing that I found annoying, like I said before, was the abolishment of the Like Home service. It was so useful to use that in foreign countries but they had to drop it. :(

scott335cook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I always get a 3G signal and almost always full no matter where I go, I know a few people who like 3 and well, you either like them or you hate them :D.

I got this information from a buddy who is, lets say "the handset buyer" at 3. He/She doesn't want their name given out. I also did say it isn't set in stone and it could be delayed.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Seems I'm still the only person in the UK who has good experiences with 3.:D
I always have "full signal" and never get any of these strange calls... the customer service has always been helpful too for the full two times I've ever needed it. The only thing that I found annoying, like I said before, was the abolishment of the Like Home service. It was so useful to use that in foreign countries but they had to drop it. :(

I got rid of my contract when 3 abolished Three Like Home.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Hmm.. Where did you get this info? Out of all the carriers, why would anybody choose 3? They're crap. Even O2 are better than them *******s who use stupid Indians to answer your phone calls for support, whereas O2 uses British personnel

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Hmm.. Where did you get this info? Out of all the carriers, why would anybody choose 3? They're crap. Even O2 are better than them *******s who use stupid Indians to answer your phone calls for support, whereas O2 uses British personnel

"Even O2" ?? O2 have by far the best network in my experience and their customer service is second to none. Whenever I've had to call their customer service they've not only helped me with my problem, but given me a freebie such as free minutes or something for the inconvenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.