iPhone coming to Canada? Molson's thinks so.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Echinda, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Echinda macrumors regular

An article on the Financial Post's website indicates that Molson's is running a contest in Quebec which, in the contest rules, indicates that an iPhone worth $800 and running on Rogers Wireless' network is one of the prizes and will be available in Jan. '08. The rules have been taken down from the contest site but below is a link to the story.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=1d77ed41-6982-413f-b8c7-3d802a216d8d&k=15535

Now, I didn't see the rules, but C$800??!?! When they are US$400 in the States and that converts to C$387.41!?!?!

I guess we see how Rogers is going to get compensated for giving unlimited data plans ... a massive up front fee when buying the hardware.

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No, the US dollar is still stronger than the Canadian dollar. But it still only converts to about $425 Canadian. I don't know if I believe it.

3. loafer macrumors newbie

Er, excuse me if my sense of humour isnt up to speed. The Canadian dollar IS at 1.0319 US as I type this message.

4. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you're clearly living in the past. The Canadian loonie is currently stronger than the US greenback.

One $US is only worth about 97 cents Canadian. Get your facts straight before you spread lies.

5. Echinda thread starter macrumors regular

It's a little harsh to call a mistake "lies".

The C$ passed parity on Friday, September 28 and has been worth more than the US$ on each trading day but one since then.

Since the C$ hasn't enjoyed these lofty heights since the seventies, you can be forgiven for not expecting it. ;)

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You're right. I didn't realize I read the exchange chart incorrectly. Sorry for spreading my lies. ;)

7. monke macrumors 65816

monke

The value could be $800, but that's not it's actual cost. Right?
    Normally contests 'value' prizes a wee bit higher than what they are.

Still though, $800 for an iPhone. I'd rather buy one in the States, or buy a new phone and an iTouch here. :rolleyes: