iPhone Coming to U.S. Prepaid Carrier Cricket on June 22

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cricket Communications today announced that it will begin offering the iPhone on June 22, becoming the first U.S. carrier to offer the device on a prepaid basis with no contract. Service will cost $55 per month and include unlimited voice and SMS, as well as "unlimited" data with a soft monthly cap of 2.3 GB after which speeds will be throttled.
Cricket Communications, Inc., a leading provider of innovative and value-driven wireless services, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Leap Wireless International, Inc., announced today that it will be the first pre-paid carrier in the US to offer iPhone to its customers. Beginning on Friday, June 22, Cricket will offer iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 with its $55 per-month, all-inclusive unlimited talk, text and data plan. [...]

"Our customers want the best products available and we are excited to bring iPhone to our pre-paid consumers with an industry leading $55 per-month service plan," said Doug Hutcheson, president and chief executive officer, Leap Wireless International, Inc. "Launching iPhone is a major milestone for us and we are proud to offer iPhone customers attractive nationwide coverage, a robust 3G data network and a value-packed, no-contract plan."

Interestingly, Cricket appears to be offering a partial subsidy on the iPhone hardware, with the iPhone 4 priced at $399.99 and the 16 GB iPhone 4S priced at $499.99. The discounts of $150 off of Apple's standard pricing for unlocked handsets are in place even though customers are not required to sign service contracts.

The iPhone will be offered in Cricket's existing core markets covering over 60 million people. The full list of iPhone markets is included on the carrier's iPhone site.

Cricket has entered into a three-year deal with Apple with a commitment to purchase at least $900 million worth of iPhone hardware over that term. The carrier also intends to carry new iPhone hardware as it becomes available, although company executives were unwilling to directly address whether Cricket would be able to offer new hardware at the same time as other carriers.

Cricket is generally considered one of roughly half a dozen "super-regional" carriers in the United States, with just under 6.2 million customers as of the end of the first quarter. The carrier offers a nationwide network through roaming agreements and its prepaid model offers simple pricing with no activation fees or overage charges.

Article Link: iPhone Coming to U.S. Prepaid Carrier Cricket on June 22

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hm. Nice. Three fed-up people I know in the last week mentioned they're dropping their cell plans and going with Cricket once they're out of their contracts. Now they'll get to keep their fancy phones too. Interesting.

I don't miss having a telephone at all.

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Hm. Nice. Three fed-up people I know in the last week mentioned they're dropping their cell plans and going with Cricket once they're out of their contracts. Now they'll get to keep their fancy phones too. Interesting.

I don't miss having a telephone at all.
You're assuming they're going to allow non-Cricket phones on their network. I am sure they will, but you never know.

I am sure sticker shock will affect some buyers. They'll walk in and be like...whoa it costs how much?

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
As a T-Mobile user in a contract, this kinda hurts. With T-Mobile refarming to 1900MhZ to offer 3G compatibility to iPhone and over a million unlocked iPhone users on there network, I'm very surprised at the lack of an official T-Mobile iPhone.

bearda

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Hmm, I've been thinking about picking up an off-contract Verizon 4S to swap out my Pre2 on Page Plus, but this is intriguing. I absolutely refuse to sign a cell phone contract, but the flat $55 a month rate is pretty palatable.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
This is great news for consumers who want the world's best mobile device on a great network with no-strings-attached. It's always good to see Apple partnering with real innovators in business.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Good in theory but check out their coverage. This phone is pretty much worthless if you travel anywhere. :rolleyes:

I find it annoying when I have no service anywhere. Imagine this thing, you would be surprised when you HAD service.

Attachments

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Gotta see how this plays out with their service first. They advertise to have LTE so this could be big with the new iPhone. Best case scenario, Bye Verizon! :D

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Finally a regional carrier in my area. Unfortunately they use Sprint's network which is fine coverage wise, but speed wise is terrible compared to AT&T.

Now if they offered an LTE iPhone with the same terms then maybe I would consider it.

Also do they allow tethering? Or let you pay additional for "unlimited" tethering?

I'd like to use tethering on AT&T but since they upped the data caps now I would be doubling my current data price. No thanks.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Good in theory but check out their coverage. This phone is pretty much worthless if you travel anywhere. :rolleyes:

I find it annoying when I have no service anywhere. Imagine this thing, you would be surprised when you HAD service.
Honestly it covers about 95% of anywhere I would go with the exception of the mountains, but all carriers have poor performance in highly variable terrain environments.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Personally, this might be a game changer for me. I am tired of contracts and being locked in to a company. It feels like bondage.

Anyways, the smartphone plans have 'roaming' areas too that cost $0.25 / per minute. I wonder if data will be roaming in these areas and what the cost of it would be. I haven't found any information about this, does anyone else know?

- Jay

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
How do they subsidize it with no contractual obligation, odd but cool.
Well, I'm sure it's a gamble on their behalf that they'll have enough people switch to their network and stay to more than make up for those who might buy a (slightly) discounted iPhone for a month and then leave.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Interestingly, Cricket appears to be offering a partial subsidy on the iPhone hardware, with the iPhone 4 priced at $399.99 and the 16 GB iPhone 4S priced at $499.99. The discounts of $150 off of Apple's standard pricing for unlocked handsets are in place even though customers are not required to sign service contracts.
So does this mean if you were going to buy one at full price, you could instead buy from Cricket with $150 off and then use on another carrier since there is no contract?

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
So does this mean if you were going to buy one at full price, you could instead buy from Cricket with $150 off and then use on another carrier since there is no contract?
I'm going to assume that it will be locked to Cricket with the GSM side locked as well.

KPOM

macrumors Pentium
Oct 23, 2010
This is very good news and potentially significant. I notice that a lot of students have Cricket phones, and this opens up a new market for Apple. Since it uses CDMA, it will be interesting to see whether a Cricket phone will work with an AT&T SIM card or only international (like the Verizon and Sprint phones after they are unlocked). Otherwise, I'd have to think that there would be some prepaid purchase commitment to get the $499 price on the base model (otherwise, why buy the unlocked model for $649?).

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011

That is why they are called a "regional" carrier.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Honestly it covers about 95% of anywhere I would go with the exception of the mountains, but all carriers have poor performance in highly variable terrain environments.
I live in the city so technically it would probably work for me most of the time. But I like to hike and snowboard and bike and travel outside the US. And I very rarely have any trouble finding coverage on AT&T. Even when I lived in the mountains of Wyoming.

This phone is useless for anyone who doesn't stay completely in a city the majority of the time.

----------

That is why they are called a "regional" carrier.
Yeah, I get that. Maybe great for your kids but no adult that does any traveling will want this phone. That is unless they have crap credit and can't get a real plan for adults.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.