iPhone coming to Vodafone UK this July?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSimon, Jun 8, 2009.

1. iSimon macrumors regular

A colleague of mine at work is currently with Vodafone but has been really eager to get an iPhone for sometime, even though he would prefer not to leave Vodafone. He was getting so jealous of my iPhone that he was actually getting tempted to get one now, even though he has a couple of months of his current contract still to go - though I managed to persuade him to hold off at least until it is clearer whether there is to be a new iPhone or not - which may well be out around the time his contract is up anyway.

All this is a bit by-the-by though, as this morning he tells me that over the weekend he was speaking with some friends, one of whom is "high up" with Vodafone (not sure exactly how high - but I get the impression it's high enough that she would be a credible source) and she says it is absolutely certain that the iPhone will be available on Vodafone sometime in July (some sort of done deal supposedly). My colleague didn't ask if it would be on an exclusive basis or not so I'm guessing that if it's true then perhaps the new model (assuming there is one) will be available for both O2 and Vodafone (and maybe the other carriers too?). Seems hard to believe that O2 would have actually lost the right to sell the iPhone altogether.

I know there is an iPhone version of Vodafone's mobile web portal which sort of adds substance to this rumour, but that may just be to satisfy those with unlocked iPhones who use the Voda network.

Anyone else heard anything along these lines?

2. YoungLew macrumors regular

If its true then its more likely O2 will exclusively have the iPhone 3GS/2009 (or whatever its called)

and Vodafone will then stock the iPhone 3G or the rumoured 'cheaper' iPhone people are talking about

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030