iPhone Compass not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tex-Twil, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I've had this issue for a while on different devices. The Compass app is not working and it points all the time to the north. When I reset my iPhone it works fine but as soon as I restore my backup is stops working again so it seems to be a software issue. It happens also on another device with the same backup.

Any idea how I could solve this without loosing my backed up data ?

2. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Just after posting I found the problem. The "Compass Calibration" was disabled in Preferences > Privacy > Location Services > System Services

3. Wackery macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 6s Plus is calibrated upside down for some reason does anyone else have this problem where it shows north as being south and south as being north?

I have the location services calibration on, but it's still messed up

4. gladoscc macrumors 6502

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You're still getting replies to a problem that you have resolved yourself. May I suggest you navigate to your OP and edit the thread title prefix to "Resolved" to avoid more of this?

6. Jaime DelosRios macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. You are the only one that makes sense in the sea of babbling.

7. munkong macrumors newbie

munkong

Same with me, but I disabled location services, then re-enabled it, and compass came back well north with north, etc. Also realised the compass calibration service is needed for google maps to show where you are facing correctly.

8. Paul in Ivins UT macrumors newbie

Spot on

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This thread is from August and that user hasn’t logged on to the site in 33+ weeks. I’m sure if he ever appears again he’ll appreciate your encouragement though. :rolleyes: