Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I'm sorry to say that these companies are NOT copying 'Apple's direct download model'. A quick google will show you plenty of companies doing this and also companies theorising about it when Apple was still a pipe dream.

But Apple did it right.
And actually turned download into a profitable business.
Portable Music was a bedrock of Sony. And now the Walkman is an 80's brand.

Sony was in love with it's out-dated notion of proprietary hardware formats. It finally seems to be saying goodbye to that one. Yesterday they kissed goodbye to Memory Stick (you will not be missed)

IN response to your notion of 'cellphones needs to offer a Polaroid quality experience, any more is a waste' - what complete twoddle! If you had a great camera in your phone for no extra cost, you'd use it and get used to that standard. Exactly what happened with me and my old Sony phone. Theres no telling what could happen in the next few years/future. Covers of Maxim could well be shot using a mobile phone camera. It would be more convenient that's for sure. Once the tech is there and affordable, it'll happen.

No.

The physics of photography means that quality images demand large sensor size and real lenses. Both require bulk. Cellphones need to be lightweight and thin.

It's tragic, but the two can never marry.

Mega-pixel counts are for "consumers" who don't really understand the first thing about photography. And who mistake pixel counts for quality. The sensor in the CineAlta camera that shot Attack of the Clones is 2 megapixels.

C.

kisbys

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
But Apple did it right.

The physics of photography means that quality images demand large sensor size and real lenses. Both require bulk. Cellphones need to be lightweight and thin.

It's tragic, but the two can never marry.

Mega-pixel counts are for "consumers" who don't really understand the first thing about photography. And who mistake pixel counts for quality. The sensor in the CineAlta camera that shot Attack of the Clones is 2 megapixels.

C.

Couldn't agree me which is why I get so annoyed by people both on the forums and at home banging on about how rubish the camera is...

compair a 12mp phone with a compact digital camera of say 6mpixels and you'd be amased how rubish the 12mp is (the only advantage is that you can print to A1 rather A3!!) the big difference is the lack of clarity and graniness.

I always say that camera's on phones are rubbish (about the only use I have seen is for business card readers) as either they are too rubbish to take photos or if you just want it to take amusing pictures of drunk friends your usually to pissed to remember the camera!!!

Would like to say though saying that Attack of the clones was only taken on a 2Mpixal camera isn't particulaly helpful as the qualities don't match between photo and film as you don't notice a lack of quality nearly as much in moving filme as a still

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Would like to say though saying that Attack of the clones was only taken on a 2Mpixal camera isn't particulaly helpful as the qualities don't match between photo and film as you don't notice a lack of quality nearly as much in moving filme as a still

My point was simply that 2 megapixels is plenty enough resolution to fill an entire movie screen with a feature-film.

C.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Apple is really going to have to step up the game.

-Windows 7 will be available Oct 22 (or before) and has been getting very favorable press and so far Snow Leopard looks like an unmarketable upgrade
Not competing with the iPhone, either directly or indirectly.
-
Zune HD is coming this fall and the iPod Touch is starting to seem dated in terms of display technology and hardware features
Again, not really competing with the phone, this is more a move at the iPod line
-
PSP GO! will compete with the iPod Touch's ability to download games over Wi-Fi
Again, you're clealry talking about the iPod Touch. You even could have said "will compete with the iPhone's ability to download games over a cellular network," and made a more valid point.
-
XBOX 360 will soon allow for full game downloads, something Apple should have been getting into when the Apple TV launched
MY computer already allows for this, and the Apple TV isn't a gaming console (yet) Besides, full game downloads have been around for a while on all current-gen consoles. Oh, is this related to the iPhone? Seems not to be.
-
Blu-ray adoption is rapidly increasing and Apple doesn't offer BR drives on any of its products even as a BTO option
I agree, I want an iPhone with a Blu-Ray drive
-
Netbooks are growing in use and Apple has shown no answer to this segment
ok.....
-
Palm Pre is more refined and feature complete than the current iPhone in almost every aspect (i.e. Apple still has the brand advantage and the App Store)
-Internationally, phones like the one below are being released, and make the current iPhone's imaging hardware look pitiful
*wakes up* oh, you're actually talking about something phone related? Competition is good for everyone, I'm sure that Apple isn't resting on its laurels, the next hot thing will be coming soon. Besides, if Apple is HALF as good at making phones as they are MP3 players, they really have nothing to worry about.

kisbys

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
My point was simply that 2 megapixels is plenty enough resolution to fill an entire movie screen with a feature-film.

C.

fair point in fact for movies most video cameras dont use 2 megapixels although these days they are begining to be able to bump up the chips for stills

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Adding a blu-ray player in macs would be a very marketable feature and giver users a better disk drive and the best of both worlds.

How about this for a tagline? Gone Green, Going Blu

compare a 12mp phone with a compact digital camera of say 6mpixels and you'd be amazed how rubish the 12mp is

Considering this is the world's first 12MP phone, how would you know?

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Windows 7 is a very public admission that Vista was a mis-step. MS are trying to undo 3 years of train-wreck.

Even if that were true, it's irrelevant. The press is loving Windows 7 as much as it hated Vista. The buzz is in MS's favor. People who would have otherwise switched might not, instead they'll either upgrade to Windows 7 or buy a new computer with Windows 7 preinstalled.

The Original Zune was another mis-step. Did you know it was never released outside the US? The Zune HD is an improvement. But it has a low-rez screen, DRM and no application infrastructure.

The Zune doesn't "have" DRM. The Zune Marketplace offers DRM subscription files and DRM-free MP3s and the Zune hardware family supports a wide range of file formats.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I love how Apple is now doomed based on all of these products that have yet to be released. The iPhone is dead because of the pre (not released yet). iPhone/iPod Touch in trouble because of the ZuneHD (not released yet). iPod Touch in trouble because of the PSP Go (not released yet). OS X is in trouble with attracting new people because of Windows 7 (not released yet). Apple TV screwed because of the 360 full game downloading service (Apple TV is not a gaming platform).

And quit crapping your pants over a 12MP camera. Megapixels mean nothing! Too many people latch on to "the more MP the better." STOP.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I guess I'd better reiterate:

You can give a turd a 12 megapixel camera, but it's still a turd.

All of these phones suck. People are pissing their pants over 12 megapixel cameras and HD video recording, but they forget that those features are generally implemented in a near-unusable fashion.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Update

While this phone may be the first 12MP to hit shelves it appears that (at least) two others are on the way. For European and Asian consumers especially, mobile photography is important. It is not just the MPs that the cameras are offering. The Samsung also offers a high quality lens and flash, [digital] zoom, and auto-focus. It also features an OLED display and FM Radio (another feature important to international markets). If Apple wants to make inroads in Europe and Asia, it must offer these types of features.

Sony Ericsson Satio- http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/satio?lc=en&cc=sg

LG-
http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=14331797

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Right....I might as well just keep carrying my camera bag with DSLR this thing looks so huge.
Satio_frontandside_image_black.png

fratboy

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
on the whole windows 7 thing...

you think this is their savior?

just because this one is "claimed" to be great it doesnt turn the whole company right around

its like MS saying "I know our other OS sucked but ok this time its going to be good and work i promise "

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
The iphones only true competition will be blackberry.

You see, these samsung and nokia phones come and go. They are like American cars...there are so many models and no longevity for each model.

The iphone is a platform, sure the phones change but everything works and is backwards compatible. The iphone brand is out there, it doesn't matter if you have a 1st gen or a 3g or whatever comes next...the bottom line is you have an iphone.

I understand windows moble is a platform but these phones just can't seem to adapt to a hardware standard around them. All of these hardware models vary in screen size and features and will forever be treated as "flavor of the month" models that people forget about 4 months after they are released.

abarna21

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
competition is good

I say competition is good for us the consumer.
Without it we would still communicate through fire and smoke.
If windows 7 will be so good, i'll run it on my mac.
I'm currently running OSX and winxp on my MacBook and IMac.
Sure win has it's own good parts but i feel safer using mac and it's op system.
Apple's computer are much more stable (and good looking :p ) than other laptops.
But each to their own

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
That's true I didn't notice that... But just because it doesn't have a :apple: on it doesn't mean it won't give the iphone a good run.. Only time will tell...

How about this review then...

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones...3490473.html?&subj=re&tag=smallCarouselArea.0

James

CNET/ZDNET. Much better since its not any of the usual hit whores/bloggers. hehe... They nailed it on the bottom line for the most part. What's left out is the weak capability of the device to play really intensive 3D games.

"Palm has developed a solid OS that not only rivals the competition but also sets a new standard in the way smartphones handle tasks and manage information."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.