iPhone Competitor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Apr 26, 2011.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

So Macrumors just posted market data that shows Android phones really growing and becoming much larger market than iPhone. Now that the iPhone is on Verizon and basically available everywhere else that means that people with an option to buy an iPhone are going the Android route.

My GF is considering a new smartphone on Verizon and I can't really see any of the android phones as being competitive to the iPhone. So I'm wonder what phones people here think are really competitive to the iPhone and why? Battery life is key for my GF as her first experience with Android version 1 was a complete disaster requiring a second charge everyday even on low usage days. That phone lasted two months, then broke after being dropped three feet onto carpeting. It was back to blackberry but that was before iPhone was out on Verizon.

I'm looking at the current crop of android phones and I frankly don't trust them compared to the iPhone. I'm wondering why they are selling so well. Is it mainly the physical keyboard?

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What the market numbers show is that Android OS phones (50 of them from a truckload of manufacturers) are as a whole outselling iOS based phones (2 phones from just one manufacturer) at about a two to one rate.

What does this mean? Well that the iPhone isn't alone in good phones anymore, and that ONE manufacturer isn't selling a majority of all smartphones. They are still making the top selling phone handset, but not the majority OS.

I kinda think that's a good thing. Nice as the iPhone may be, Apple, like all good companies, needs to feel the heat of good competition.

That said, what you pick is still decided by the in-hand experience IMHO, which is why the iPhone continues to outsell the other handsets at the moment. Don't worry about the big philosophical questions of it all, just get a good phone. With a top end handset she'll be a happy GF and you can profit. :)

Want your GF to be happy? Get her to try out different handsets and see what they offer so she'll end up buying what she likes best.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone is only sold on TWO carriers in the US. I think all carriers in the US sell at least one Android phone of course Android phones are going to out sell the iPhone. Not everyone wants to be on Att or Verizon. A lot of Android phones were sold BOGOF or free on two year contracts. Not everyone wants to spend $199 or $299 for a phone.

I can't tell you whats a great Android phone because I hear from Android user that some manufacturers suck compared to others. I suggest that your girlfriend tryout what ever phone she gets before she buys it.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    First things first:

Why doesn't she want an iPhone 4 from Verizon?

You could use Facetime, perhaps share a host computer and apps, etc.

5. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

Form the raw hardware point of view, just take the latest htc or samsung, but they will never compete in being look-and-feel (material and software) alike or not come close to the software environment experience IMO.

6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I use Android and iPhone, they are both excellent.

It all depends on personal preference.

Most people on this forum will tell horrid stories about Android to get you to buy an iPhone.

That's just the way it is.

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I had an android phone one day just to try it.

That day my car got broken into, I got punched in the face at the bar, lost my wallet, and my girlfriend dumped me and kicked me out of her parents' house.

All because of Android

8. iOS v Android macrumors member

I would say if she is looking for a basic smart phone she can't lose with the LG vortex. It cost 19.99 on contract it is one of the best midrange smart phones on the market. It has a 3.2 mega pixel camera, 600mhz processor. It is a great starter smartphone for the basic user. Lg also has no custom interface and the found is the closes you can get to a pure android phone with out a nexus. The battery on the one i use0 last me a day and a half.

She can also get a fascinate. It has the same specs as an iPhone 4 it runs android 2.2. and will run about 100 it also has a good battery life. Has a 4" screen. It also has the best battery life of the ones I put here.

The droid incredible 2 is also a great buy. 200 dollars and 4in screen and a fast processor.

9. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

My GF's sister went to the Verizon store with the full intention of getting an iPhone, and ended up getting an HTC Thunderbolt.

And I've gotta tell you -- the thing is really impressive.

There's a reason the CDMA iPhone isn't selling anywhere near what Apple & Verizon had hoped -- the competition is fierce, and just getting fiercer. I think they're making a huge mistake by waiting to bring out an updated iPhone; in the interim they're just going to continue to lose market share.

But yes, your GF should go and play with phones, and see what she likes.

10. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Android is a competitor to iphone and as they go on they are getting better. I just wish android would fully implement GPU acceleration which i think they will with their ice cream update during summer. Right now this is my first time on iphone had it over a week. iPhone is different from android and there is some things i hate about it and there is somethings i love about it. same with android.

after 6 to 8 months or so i will be changing phones again, thinking about giving windows 7 a shot giving them some time to develop.