iPhone-Computer Idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I think it would be a great idea for Apple to allow you to control your iPhone (maybe via iTunes?) when it is connected to your computer. For example, let's say I wanted to write a text from my iPhone...I should be able to open iTunes and select SMS and type out the message on my computer's keyboard and have it send through my iPhone.

I understand most of the phone's features are able to be synced with the Computer's corresponding program (contact, calendar, email etc.) but I should also be able to access the cellular features via my computer (SMS, Phone, data etc.). I should be able to use my phone to call someone from my computer and talk and listen through my computer's speakers/microphone.

If any company could implement this it would be Apple b/c they're one of the only companies who make a phone, computer and software (for both). Thoughts?

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Being able to make calls from your computer through your phone is already possible with certain handsets, over Bluetooth. It's called Voice Gateway, or something.

For some reason, Apple decided not to include the functionality in the iPhone. Seems strange to me, since it's already there in OSX. :confused:

It'd be great when you're at home to have new text messages just pop up on your screen, though!

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

That would be awesome. I could even do this with my Nokia 6300 If I remember correctly.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Actually, I think your idea could open up some interesting possibilities. I like the SMS idea already.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

In Portugal Vodafone has a program called "Vodafone web phone" that does all that: allows to to make and receive sms and calls through you computer. It's only for windows though.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Not sure about the audio, but there are plenty of utility programs for Windows Mobile phones that let you control them from a PC, and vice versa.

I never directly type in contact info on a WM phone... I do it on my laptop keyboard while controlling the phone instead.

7. daisuke07 macrumors regular

if you log into your AT&T account you're able to send texts from there

8. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

9. twist2b macrumors regular

Theres also VLC or something like that (forgot app name) that lets you VIEW whats on your computer and control your computer via internet. Its pretty awesome. You can control your computer from ANYWHERE as long as both are connected to the internet.

10. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

This isn't the same thing that I'm talking about. I want to use my computer to control my iPhone not vice versa.

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I can understand his confusion, though. The reason Apple haven't bothered with anything like this is because, if anything, the majority of people would rather use their phone to control computer functionality. Along the lines of Apple Remote, or Simplify.

Using a fully featured device - your computer - to control a comparatively much less useful device - your phone - is a bit pointless. It's using technology for technology's sake. There's also the issue that for many people, their phone is with them all the time. Their computer quite often isn't; the ability to control your phone from your computer isn't useful to a lot of people much of time.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's kinda handy for people who work with their computers all day.

13. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Absolutely, which is why I said 'a lot', rather than 'all'. :)

Still, beyond the SMS idea - which has its merits, though it doesn't appeal to me personally - I'm really not sure what else it would be useful for. The majority of people will have their calendars and contacts synced to their desktop anyway, and will be using the internet on a full sized browser, with access to their e-mail on a large screen with a full sized keyboard to type replies...

Am I missing something?

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This is the most pointless "feature" ever.

You can send SMS messages from any IM program to a mobile number - for free. You can call using VoIP with a number of programs.

Or, of course, you could just pick up your phone. Is it really that difficult? You do remember that the iPhone is a phone, don't you? I mean give me a break people. The damn thing sits on your desk next to your computer, and instead of, you know, picking it up, you want some kind of interface to control it with your computer? Is that so you don't have to lift your heavy, fat fingers from the keyboard? Do they award Darwin awards for Obesity?

15. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

You cannot send an SMS from your own mobile # so that if you have to leave your office you would get it on your phone. Sending it from an IM application is not the same at all. It's pretty much the same thing as using a land phone and a cell phone. Yes you can call from a land phone but if someone calls you back and you're not home you miss the call. I want the reply going to my MOBILE device.

Yes you can call from your phone but for someone who keeps it in a dock all the time and plugged in at work it is not the ideal solution. I should be able to dial from my computer screen and talk while I continue working. It has nothing to do with having to lift a finger its for ease of use. Also allowing such a feature will open the door to numerous other possibilities with the iphone.

16. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

For the most part I do agree with you and this feature would be more for convenience than anything else. I do believe it would open up a lot of possibilities if it were to become available. Maybe they could even allow video conferencing using your computer's internet connection for data as to not hog the at&t 3G network. SMS is the big feature though. I would love to be able to send texts by typing on my computer rather than having to take the phone out of the dock, type and send the message and then plugging it back in. Just seems old fashioned to me. Being able to talk via my computers speaker and mic would also be a big benefit bc as I said previously it allows me to work and talk simultaneously (the iPhone's speakerphone is kinda weak).

17. dancavallaro macrumors regular

What you guys are talking about is possible with Veency, a jailbroken app. It turns your phone into a VNC server that you can access from your computer.

18. webbadger macrumors newbie

webbadger

iPhone Wish List

Google listed this post on top when I searched for software that can allow me type messages from my MacBook Pro keyboard through the iPhone 3G.
    I had taken this feature for granted and was very disappointed not finding it (and many other standard cellphone features) on the iPhone. My previous Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc all had them.
    I have sent my feedback on Apple page, until they listen to what users want, I shall continue to search 3rd parties, like 'Veency' pointed above by dancavallaro. :(

19. garybUK Guest

garybUK

You lot are insane!! :p

Okay okay calm down..... Apple *HAD* this feature in 10.4's Address Book, it would connect to my Sony Ericsson Phone via Bluetooth and i could right click a contact and type out a SMS and it would send it ......

But of course, Apple know exactly what everyone wants to do with their phones/computer, don't they :mad: and took it away in 10.5

Nokia has done this for years....... they make Software and very very good phones you know! :) My Phone's are connected to my PC Suite software (in Windows), when i get a call a popup cloud appears with the names and 3 buttons, 1 reject and send SMS, 2 reject, 3 answer, i click any of them and the phone acts accordingly.

It does a lot more too.
    PC Suite also allows me to use my laptop's Mic and Speakers as a speakerphone AND has a Messaging application that i can see all my SMS/MMS just like e-mails, i can write them out and send pics/vids/soundclips etc.