iPhone Concept (updated)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMattv2, Apr 7, 2011.

1. iMattv2 macrumors newbie

I was reading all the articles / posts and had an urge to make something up in Photoshop.

A few hours of dedication:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

3. iMattv2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I disagree. The phone would look strange if the dimensions were the same and the screen was enlarged. I tried it and the only way to make it work is to shorten and widen it just a tiny tiny bit.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ya but thats my opinion. Its too wide. But guess what, if that was the 5, Id still buy it :D

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. ipxmbx macrumors member

Very nice!

I like everything about it.

The size is ideal, especially the 4.3" display. I have that size on my Droid X and when I pickup my iPhone 4, it feels like a girls narrow phone. Wider fits a mans hand so much better.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Nice last sentence there :eek:

8. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

That's a pretty sick concept dude. I am far from expecting the LED light on the bezel to show up anytime soon, but seeing it there makes me really wish it would.

I do agree with previous posters that it looks a little too short and fat (chode?). But otherwise nice job.

9. lannim macrumors member

I think Apple feels that an led indicator would take away from the clean look of the phone and make it look too..ordinary? Also I think 4.3 is somehow too big for an iPhone but 4 would work nice for me.

Another thing, let's keep the traditional home key but make it have a multi-colored backlight for indications :D

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Here's something I drew up in AutoCAD.

Attached Files:

• ip5.jpeg
      ip5.jpeg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

awesome work. Id buy that !

12. lannim macrumors member

That's pretty sick, where's the home key

13. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Large screens definitely feel WAY more natural in my hands than he iPhone.

I held the atria a few weeks ago, as well as the HD7, it felt so amazing. Beyond what I can explain.

Too bad the is was jus too "less smooth" than iOS for me.

14. lannim macrumors member

I owned an hd2 and I loved the design but the OS was an absolute joke

15. ipxmbx macrumors member

Oh yeah, just the reaction I was going for. I say what's on my mind. Gotta have a little humor being un_pc :)

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Haha you knew I was kidding.

17. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

No way will it be that thin.

If it was, how would Apple be able to top it? It looks nearly 40% thinner than the current model, and that's just way too much!

Having the phone be 10-20% thinner will be perfect for the 6th model (since I believe the 5th model will have the same body).

10-20% thinner, will be already thinner than any phone out there.

Hell the iPhone 4 is thinner than these new phones coming out (HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Bionic, etc).

It's also too short. You can keep the phone the same size (height), and still be able to have a large screen. Maybe make it a little wider, like right in between what you have, but that's just me.

Can you mock up a design with the suggestions I made? 20% thinner than the current iPhone 4, same height, width in between your concept and the current iPhone, and a screen size between 4-4.3 inches (do I dare say 4.5 inches?).

18. deearrpee macrumors newbie

The iPhone 5 will be thinner for sure. It needs to be able to claim back it's statement of being "the world's thinnest smartphone". Even if it is only 0.2mm thinner than say the Galaxy S II, that'll do it!
    I also think that making the phone shorter but fatter will jeapordise movie watching as the widescreen proportions will seem a bit strange
    There surely can't be any additional off screen light indicators, goes against all of what Apple have done and stand for.

I'm liking that idea of a capacitive-hybrid button though, good sketch in all!! :cool:

19. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ya the captive button is what I was wrapping this whole thing around.

If anything, I hope apple impliments something like it, where it's both touch and press.

20. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

nice mockup, but i don't think it needs to be shorter nor thinner. much thinner and these things (in your pocket) will snap in half when you bend over. i think for proportion's sake you should keep some of the height. the problem with the iphone isn't it's height but it's width.

21. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Makes sense in order to get the 4.5" screen, I'd buy one.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Kind of reminds me of what Apple did to the fat nano.

23. hildey macrumors newbie

I would absolutely buy that and I actually like the proportions of the mockup. It seems like a very efficient way to get a larger screen without being stuck with a huge phone. Although I do think i would prefer it if it were somewhere in between the mockup you made and the 4. I suppose a little more height would be nice. Thinner is definitely nicer though, it means i can get a bigger case :D

24. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

that's what she said.

25. JohnBossu macrumors member

I really like it even though it seems to be too wide, but reading on it will be more convenient and browsing too, nice concept!