iphone confusion ??? contract uk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acemelhaz, Oct 5, 2007.

1. acemelhaz macrumors newbie

hi could some one explain if i bought an iphone of the apple website then i have to activate the iphone on itunes what if i then failed the credit check id have an i phone i cant use ???? also in an o2 store i take it they will do a credit check will they offer a pay as you go instead if you fail check ???? one more thing if the iphone isnt subsidised why are we stuck in a 18 month contract ????

2. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

there will be no credit checks in any stores. no one knows for sure about payg.

3. acemelhaz thread starter macrumors newbie

surely their will be credit checks if your on a 18 month contract ????

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

yes there will be credit checks but not in any stores, you go in buy the phone and walk out, everything is done through itunes

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I was told in an O2 shop that you would need a credit check before taking the iPhone home. I don't know about buying online or from an apple store or carphonewarehouse though.
    (the guy may have been wrong, but he told me that the best way to get an iPhone is to come in a few days before, sign up for a simplicity contract, then change it on iPhone day for a new contract, purely to get the credit check out of the way, as they expect to be swamped on nov 9th.)

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

What makes you think it isn't subsidised?

7. acemelhaz thread starter macrumors newbie

so what happens if you get home and the credit check fails on itunes ????

8. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

thank god i live near the new apple store in glasgow, i won't be going anywhere near an 02 shop!!!!!!!!!
    but it doesn't matter where you buy it because everything is done online, I'm willing to bet that there will be a payg option much like their was in the US

9. trevreyno macrumors member

I think this might be just wishful thinking.....

apple/O2 would lose millions in lost revenue from lost contracts if a payg option were available.

Maybe a US member would like to give us some info how the prepay option has been implemented over there?

10. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Clearly he had no idea what he was talking about.

You simply buy the phone, nothing is done in store with regards to a credit check.

Also - don't take out the simplicity deal like he said, there's absolutely no point.

-Leemo

11. trevreyno macrumors member

Also found this from another post

12. Project macrumors 68020

I am almost certain there will be a Simplicity type option. This is what happened in the States.

If you bought from an AT&T store (read: O2 or Carphone Warehouse), then you generally did the credit check there and then before you bought it.

If you bought from an Apple store, you just pick up the phone and activate via iTunes. Here, a credit check is conducted. If you passed the check, then all is fine and you choose one of the 3 plans. If you failed the check, then a new plan becomes apparent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I believe there will be a prepay option, however you will not just be able to walk into a store and purchase it that way...and O2 certainly do not want to promote this as they want you on a nice long 18 month contract. The bizarre thing here is that failing the credit check works to your advantage as you are not locked in and can change your plan from month to month.

But yeah, if Apple are selling the phone without a contract at their stores, then there MUST be a prepaid option like above.... otherwise you will get a hell of a lot of people buying it, attempting to activate at home and not being able to use it. Which makes no sense.

13. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Those screen shots are worded oddly. It doesn't say pay as you go, it says pay in advance, which suggests you make the same tariff payments as a contract, just upfront instead of by a bill.

14. Project macrumors 68020

Its the same as O2's existing Simplicity option. You pay the price up front each month. You can choose to stop at any point. Its not quite Pay As You Go, its prepaid. The thing that binds them both is no contract.

15. sananda macrumors 68020

as i remember it, you have to pay a fixed amount every month (a minimum of $49.98). and it's less generous to the customer than the contract plan.

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is bound to be the case, so why is everyone so desperate to have Pay As You Go?

You will pay extra for the 'privilege' of not being tied into a contract.

17. sananda macrumors 68020

i think they think that you can decide how much you pay based on usage. as far as i can see, if you go for the at&t prepay you pay roughly the same for a lot less. yes, you can stop paying...but then your iphone doesn't function as a phone.