Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smarter's WiFi-enabled iKettle has been available for purchase in the UK for years now, but the newest version, iKettle 3.0, recently made its way to the United States.

Priced at $150, the iKettle is a variable temperature kettle that can heat water to a specified temperature from 68°F to 212°F, making it ideal for tea that requires lower temperatures, baby bottles, and other similar applications.

ikettle.jpg

iKettle connects to your WiFi network and communicates with your iPhone, allowing you to heat up water remotely, and it integrates with Alexa and IFTTT if you use those services. With Alexa integration, the iKettle can be controlled via voice if you have an Alexa device, and with IFTTT, it can be programmed to interact with other smart home products.

Design

The iKettle looks like your average kettle, with a stainless steel body that rests on a black base. It's taller than most other kettles that I've used, but not so tall that it doesn't fit comfortably on a counter.

There are no buttons on the iKettle, and aside from a small drop-shaped LED on the side of the body, there are no other markings, for a sleek, simple look.

ikettledesign.jpg

The base with the heating elements is thicker than the base for my existing kettle, which also contributes to making the iKettle rather tall. The base includes a single button that can be pre-programmed for one set temperature, so you can set water to heat up if your phone isn't nearby, and it has a cord that plugs into the wall. You can wind up a bit of the cord into the base, so excess cord isn't visible.

ikettlebase.jpg

It's best to program the button on the base to the water temperature that you use most often because aside from that button, there's no way to activate the iKettle without your phone.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Heat Water for Tea From Afar With the iPhone-Connected iKettle 3.0

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Don’t you have to be "a-close” when you use the heated water from said teakettle?

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Oh man, I'm definitely picking up one of these. I can't tell you how many times I'm at work, and thought to myself "I wish I could heat up some water at home, even though I'm not there.":rolleyes:

When are companies going to learn that just because you can connect something to wi-fi, doesn't mean you should.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
My morning routine consists of:
1) Get up
2) Put the kettle on
3) Make me and the missus a cup of tea

This kettle will eliminate step 2). Kettle will have already boiled when I get up. Perfect.
[doublepost=1510607604][/doublepost]Also love that it is more expensive in the US than the UK. That makes a pleasant change!

Reactions: Ntombi and arefbe

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Oh man, I'm definitely picking up one of these. I can't tell you how many times I'm at work, and thought to myself "I wish I could heat up some water at home, even though I'm not there.":rolleyes:

When are companies going to learn that just because you can connect something to wi-fi, doesn't mean you should.

This is the kind of thing that shows up on tech sites on April 1.

Also, I want one.

Because nerd.

Companies will learn as soon as us nerds stop buying WiFi connected everything.

Reactions: samden

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
My expresso maker heats water in less than a minute. Put in a special stainless adapter I use just for hot water, and I have my hot fresh tea done steeping in about 2-3 minutes.

All without having to worry about me remotely setting my home alight at the touch of a button.

Ivanovitchk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Paris, FR
You still have to fill it up by hand. How often do people fill a kettle but wait to boil it?

I don’t get modern tech.

Well, I do. I fill it the night before. It also has the added benefit to allow diluted chlore to evaporate over time.

This kettle would be nice if it had an API that could trigger boiling via a Wake Up notification from a sleep sensor / apple watch...

Reactions: Ntombi

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

The best part is when you pull your friends / family / coworkers / random strangers over and ask them if they want to see something cool.

You show them that you can turn on a kettle without even being near it.

Then they ask you if it can fill itself up with water.

Then you facepalm and look at them with dark, cold eyes and wonder how stupid they really are for asking such a dumb question.

They look at you and wonder how stupid you really are for buying such a stupid product.

Then you smile back and say, "nope, but I sure don't have to wait around for the water to boil."

Then they smile back and say, "wow, that's really cool."

And then you both go your own paths wondering how stupid the other must be.

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Tea-lover's delight? As a coffee drinking nation, probably won't sell as well this side of the pond.

Adjustable temperature does benefit coffee brewing where boiling water should ideally not be used on fresh ground coffee but you can get that effect by waiting a moment after boiling of buying an 'analogue' adjustable temperature kettle. I do not see the point of this device other than to waste electricity if you pre boil when not present then need to re-boil when you turn up to pour :)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I love the lockscreen wallpaper. Personal photo or is it available to share?

It is my personal photo, but happy to share. Here's a link, it's the yellow one: https://imgur.com/a/KBKvX
[doublepost=1510609277][/doublepost]
You still have to fill it up by hand. How often do people fill a kettle but wait to boil it?

I don’t get modern tech.

I don't when I normally make tea, but with the iKettle, I was filling it up the night before so it'd be ready to go in the morning. Wasn't too much of a hassle and saved some AM waiting time.

Reactions: Mike Oxard

Rlong405

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Uk
In the UK (and therefore assume US too), the kettle integrates with IFTTT and also Alexa. Cue voice activated kettle.
These are the big ticket functions, not sure why they are not mentioned in the review.

Reactions: Ntombi

chromite

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
ITT: “I have no use for a smart iced tea maker, therefore it’s stupid and no one else would like it either.”

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
In the UK (and therefore assume US too), the kettle integrates with IFTTT and also Alexa. Cue voice activated kettle.
These are the big ticket functions, not sure why they are not mentioned in the review.

I mentioned IFTTT and Alexa at the top. I didn't initially include Alexa since this is an iOS review, but updated to include it so people know that functionality is available.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I want a HomeKit enabled oatmeal cooker. Dispense just the right amount, add water and cook it. I’ll even automate it to cook at 7AM every day!
:D

Reactions: artfossil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.