Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I bought an iKettle 2 for someone as a Christmas gift. It bricked itself on the very first day via a botched software update. They’ve somehow gotten by with a normal kettle since.

I hadn’t realised version 3 was out, but I would have expected a meaningful design improvement.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
being able to trigger the kettle from the comfort of your sofa is pretty nice. For the moment I'm using a Wemo switch, which needs me to turn the kettle *on* but the wemo *off*. I've also named the switch 'kettle' so I can just say "Alexa, turn the kettle on"

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
USA is 120V power. Convert your house electrics to 240V, buy a kettle from the UK or Australia and then your kettle will boil in 60 seconds

That's about as stupid a process as buying that iKettle.

jotwee

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Düsseldorf, Germany
Oh man, I'm definitely picking up one of these. I can't tell you how many times I'm at work, and thought to myself "I wish I could heat up some water at home, even though I'm not there.":rolleyes:

When are companies going to learn that just because you can connect something to wi-fi, doesn't mean you should.

Don’t buy if, if you don’t want it. I have both, kettle and coffee machine. Both integrated in homekit (with homebridge) and I enjoy it very much.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Can we put WIFI on a toilet? That way I can flush without having to take my hands off my phone.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Using Iris by Lowes to turn on appliances. Much cheaper than $150.

The key to this is you can set the temp, important when making tea. Now, the price is crazy, $75 at most is what it should cost.
[doublepost=1510663752][/doublepost]
What happens when your tea kettle decides it's time to overthrow its lazy, spoiled, humanoid overlords?

Honestly, though, people need to stop buying crap like this. Before this century is out, America is going to undergo some degree of societal collapse, and a culture that falls in love with stuff like this will be illustrative of the numerous reasons why.

Or tea lovers will love being able to dial in the right temp for their tea...

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Unless it can fill itself with water what is the point?!

We have a quooker tap (zip tap) that dispenses boiling water instantly and is one of the best things we have in our house!

Syrgul

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
I jumped on the Keurig bandwagon about 12 years ago, and it was a huge improvement over standard kettles and coffeemakers I've used in the past. Instant brewing, one cup at a time. And a lot of the newer models allow you to adjust your temperature settings as well. Cut way down on waste / reheating cold of cold coffee.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
In the local Starbucks, they are selling a 'smart bottle' thing. A $150 dollar self heating drink bottle. A ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLAR drink bottle.

I was like 'WHAT???' Who the hell would want something that ridiculous, and for that amount of cash? Who drinks their scalding hot coffee? Who wants to have the thing go to poop because you mistakenly run it through the dish machine.

A remote controlled coffee pot is so... I can't think of something ridiculous enough to top it.

But, buy away lemmings...o_O

It seems like the perfect gift to get the superficial ass in your life that wouldn't care what you got them, and you just want to get them 'something'... (I can't wait for the firmware updates because of bugs, and the IoT hacking that will make them overheat:rolleyes:)
[doublepost=1510668954][/doublepost]
I want a HomeKit enabled oatmeal cooker. Dispense just the right amount, add water and cook it. I’ll even automate it to cook at 7AM every day!
:D

Is making oatmeal really that much of a 'first world problem' for people? My life sucks, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with it every day...

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
In the local Starbucks, they are selling a 'smart bottle' thing. A $150 dollar self heating drink bottle. A ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLAR drink bottle.

I was like 'WHAT???' Who the hell would want something that ridiculous, and for that amount of cash? Who drinks their scalding hot coffee? Who wants to have the thing go to poop because you mistakenly run it through the dish machine.

A remote controlled coffee pot is so... I can't think of something ridiculous enough to top it.

But, buy away lemmings...o_O

It seems like the perfect gift to get the superficial ass in your life that wouldn't care what you got them, and you just want to get them 'something'... (I can't wait for the firmware updates because of bugs, and the IoT hacking that will make them overheat:rolleyes:)
[doublepost=1510668954][/doublepost]

Is making oatmeal really that much of a 'first world problem' for people? My life sucks, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with it every day...
Nope it’s not and it’s quite fast to make. I like it the perfect consistency every time though. It’s either too watery or too thick. But patience....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.