iPhone connects automatically to new router

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ielessar, Nov 11, 2015.

1. ielessar macrumors regular

Hi.

I've been noticing something that happens with all of my iOS devices. Say I have a router that all of them are connected to. I then replace that old one with a new router, and configure it with the same SSID name. My iOS devices connect to the new one automatically even though I have a password set to it.

My guess maybe it has something to do with the ISP? It is a PPoE connection, if it matters.

How is this possible? I've changed 3 or 4 routers and this is always the case.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Do you use the same password with the new routers? If so, I guess it's a feature. I mean, I don't have to manually connect to all the routers at work, as I move around the office, or if they replace one. That would be a royal pain in the butt.

It would have nothing to do with your ISP, in any case.

C

3. ielessar thread starter macrumors regular

Yup same password. Now that I think of it, even my other devices connect automatically. But still from a security perspective, I don't think devices should connect automatically.

4. nicho macrumors 68000

The devices credentials are as follows - SSID and password. That's all it stores and all it needs to get onto a wifi network.

You aren't changing the SSID or the password.

I don't see how you think this is insecure? Devices that didn't already know both the SSID and password will not connect. If you want a new network, change the password.

5. sunfire7 macrumors member

why insecure? you worry someone would change your router without you noticing?

6. nicho macrumors 68000

correction - someone would change his router and know the network password. which means they had access to the network already. which means it isn't secure in the first place.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

The 1990s called, they would like their inability for devices to persistently store and securely sync usernames and passwords back.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It would be a security problem if you had access restrictions set up on the old router but not on the new router.

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Why? Again, it's working the way it was designed. You should be able to swap out the hardware without forcing every user or device to have to re-enter passwords. That would be a gong-show in a large organization.

What is your actual security concern? Or does it just not "feel right" to you? If you're concerned, change the password on your router (which you should do regularly anyway) when you install it and problem solved.

C

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have a wifi router with the same ssid and password both at home and in the office. In the only one that uses the obeying the office, so I did it this way on purpose. There is no innate risk or danger in any of this unless someone else already knows your password, which is a problem in and of itself.

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Am I going nuts here? OK let's put this in other terms. You have a house at a certain location. You tear it down and build a new house at the same location. So it has the same address. Furthermore you save the old locks from the original house. and install them on the new house. When you come back to the new house on the same street and address, you are confused and complaining that your old keys still open the new house. Really?