iPhone connects to router, but rarely internet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ja Di ksw, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

We have a new router at home, and I cannot get the thing to work with my iPhone. It connects just fine, full bars and everything, but rarely can it actually get the internet. This happens only with my iPhone, our other devices work fine. It also only affects my iPhone at home with this router, at the office, friends' houses, restaurants, etc, the iPhone works fine. Any ideas what to do? Here's what I've tried so far, all without working:

Reset router
    Restart iPhone
    Forget network and reconnect
    Renew Lease under DHCP
    Enter Static info, copied from DHCP but with an IP Address I know isn't used

Absolutely nothing has worked, and it's driving me nuts. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.
    (PS - in Europe, so my replies might not come when you expect)
    Thanks in advance!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My only guess would be that you have a MAC address filter somewhere that is prohibiting internet access. Possible?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op can you take a screenshot of your wifi settings page when your connected but not getting Internet. Settings >wifi tap the i next to the connection.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

When you say you reset the router did you power it off and on. I have seen this before with only one Apple device not connecting and the only solution was to power off the router and power it back on.

5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thank you for the replies. I don't have any MAC address filter, though that was a good suggestion. The router has been completely unplugged (for a long time) multiple times. I took a screenshot of the settings, hopefully that helps.

Attached Files:

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

That's good to know. What should I change it to?

8. nebo1ss, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I don't think changing that is going to help your problem. Believe its more relevant when you are connected to your company intranet.

You can try changing the DNS settings and set them to the Google DNS server at either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and see if that helps.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Personally I would do a full reset on the router back to factory settings.

10. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Update: Nothing was working. I reset the router to factory settings. Worked for a second, but when I tried to change the network name / password back it was bad again. Tried to reset to factory settings again, and sadly this happened RIGHT as the internet provider itself had some problems it was fixing and shut off everyone's internet, so I thought I made things worse (especially since it was at night and they weren't open to answer the phone and tell me what was up). Later on, reset to factory settings a third time, and it was working. Gave it my old network name, but this time a new password, and for some reason it kept working. We'll see, I'm cautiously optimistic, but so far so good. Thanks again for everyone's help.

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Did you by chance change the wifi security type to something different after the reset? I've seen problems with WPA that changing to WPA2 fixed.