Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gasport

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I upgraded my iPhone to 3.0 and when it was finished, my contacts icon was not longer visible. Most of the apps purchased or downloaded from the iTunes store also disappeared. I am more concerned about the contacts icon as that was not an app and I cannot restore it from iTunes. When I was at the Apple store yesterday a friend purchased a new iPhone and the Apple person tried to exchange contacts between phones via the sim transfer. It did not work and he said they must be on the hard drive. I asked him about my disappearing icons and apps and he said that is what happens with the upgrade. This did not make sense but they were rather busy.

Today, I was syncing my apps with the iPhone and noticed that the contacts icon was no longer there. If I go into the phone icon I can see the list of all the contacts as they were. I just cannot access them through the icon. If I do a spotlight search, it does locate the contacts and displays what looks like the contact icon.

Does anyone know how to restore the icon as I would prefer the option to add contacts via the iPhone if necessary? :confused:

Hammon

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
iPhone Contacts icon disappeared when I synced my new 3GS for first time

Helllllp!!!!

UPDATE: Never mind, it mysteriously reappeared when I finished the sync... Eesh.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Not to be funny, but did they go to the next page? There have been several posts with people saying they lost some or all of their apps, and they were pushed back a page or two.

Also, if the contacts app is accessible via Spotlight, it's not gone, it may have been pushed off the pages altogether. With 3.0, you can hold an unlimited number of apps, but only display 11 pages worth.

Thirdly, you can access everything in your contacts app via the phone app. ;)

Good luck.

Oh, and I'm assuming you did the normal reset and/or resync, just in case?

gasport

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Ntombi

Yes, I did check the next page and only 2 icons show up.

Yes I see it in Spotlight and assume it is somewhere..... But where is the question..:confused:

Yes, all my contacts are there via the phone app.

BUT...................:eek::eek::eek:

I assumed page 2, with only 2 icons on it was the last page. Your mention of the pages led me to swipe past page 2 and there was the contact icon and all my other apps that I had downloaded. I am really surprised that the Apple guy at the Apple Store told me it was normal to loose the icons.... I will check with my friend to see if his missing contacts where in fact not really missing....

Not only that but the guy told me if I take the back off the new MacBook Pro to install more memory or another hard drive that it invalidates the warranty. I will have to check on that one also.

Thanks again Ntombi, you have been a great help as usual....:)

mikelizun

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Lost apps/icons after/before updating to 3.0

It happened to me, too, but I fixed it. Here is what I did. Open iTunes, click on applications, now, click the boxes next to the apps that are not checked under sync applications > selected applications. The boxes not checked were the same apps I lost from the iPhone. Check the boxes, click sync, they should all reappear on the phone.

Mike

circc

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2003
contact and notes app lost

Hi,
I have the same problem, but I am not able to recover the lost apps with an itunes sync. Here is what I did:

When still on 2.2.1, I had removed the Contacts app (because it was redundant with the phone app) and the Notes app (because without the ability to sync notes I had no use for it).

Now I am on 3.0 and would like to get both apps back, but don't know how. The Applications tab in iTunes only shows third-party apps, but not those original apps that should come with the OS.

Any advice?

DiaGio

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Icon gone and cannot reload

Had facebook app. After upgrade icon disappeared even from spotlight. I try going to redownload app but the FREE button won't light up to allow me to download it! What's the deal? Tried doing a full reset and restore and still the same. Any ideas? I'm using the grandpa iPhone btw. (2)
thanks

riola

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Help with this problem!!

My iphone's icon are just disappeared :( Just some apps that I installed from the internet aRE THERE ..the contact's 'icon, message 's icon, camera's icon all of them are just disappeared except setting's icon..I can't recive or make any calls or anything else..just the wi-fi is availabale and only the browser... can somebody help me how to solve this problem ??:(:(

furnashji

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
My notes disappeared

My notes icon disappered and after looking closely I found it had moved to a folder. I just took it out of the folder and put it back on the page.

rbeckett

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Restoring missing contacts

HERE IS THE IPHONE FIX FOR LOST CONTACTS AFTER INSTALLING OS4.

This is very simple.

1. go to settings
2. select mail, contacts etc
3. scroll down to import sim contacts and click
4. wait until finished and you have your contacts back.

Why this happens............

when backing up and syncing the phone the iphone does not store your contacts unless you tell it to. This is NOT automatic.

David
----------------------------------------------------------------
That above got got 200 of 580 contacts only! *

I had to buy iPhonebackupextractor 25$ article on examiner.com...
Then :

Export as csv
Open in excel and save as text .txt column or tab delimited (used default)
import into outlook contacts
Restore my ph. Back to v4 with no contacts so I wouldn't duplicate the ones I put in this week.
Now I should have no problem sync'n with outlook!

Wow what a pain! But I'm thrilled to have my contacts back!

when on itunes page, you need select and tick sync contacts with...
you then have options for windows contacts , google, yahoo etc, if selecting windows, it stores them within windows.

Hope this helps you all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.