iPhone contacts, email, and calendar disappear when Exchange server is dowwn

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrBob910, Sep 17, 2009.

1. MrBob910 macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2009
    We had to shut down our exchange server for maintenance this morning. I noticed that all email, contacts, and calendar on my 3GS disappeared. When the server restarted everything came back. Is there a setting on the iPhone or Exchange server (2003) that allows it to work in offline mode when the exchange server is unavailable? I called Apple but they were no help. Thanks.
  2. TroyHenley macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2009
    This will keep your contacts available even if the server goes down

Hi, this should do the trick. Sync your contacts to the iPhone. Cable sync your iPhone to your PC & Outlook.

If you cannot install iTunes on the office PC (which you probably shouldn't) in order to cable synch, then just export your contacts from Outlook using the FILE\import & export menu item and email them home.

Export your contacts from the office PC as a CSV file (comma seperated value). Import this file into Outlook on your home PC where iTunes is installed. COPY DOWN all of your office Exchange account settings and then delete the account from your phone.

Now synch your local Outlook contacts via iTunes. Now you permanetly have your contacts stored on the iPhone. Add the office exchange settings back in and you're ready to roll!
  3. vhl71 macrumors regular

Oct 8, 2009
    When I had my contacts locally on iPhone it doubled up mt contacts evertime
    it synced withmy google contacts.
    So I deleted iPhone contacts - it works like a charm now. Updates
    happen both ways
    will I lose my contacts if google went down?