iPhone contacts - quit MobileMe? quit iTunes syncing? wait for iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Oct 5, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

iPhone4, iPad2, MacBook and MobileMe all syncing together here via MobileMe of course. I've noticed that I have dual entries for some contacts now. Think it started when I started syncing MobileMe in addition to regular iTunes syncing.

Yesterday I deleted my MobileMe account on my iPhone to see if the dupes would go away and they did. Problem is I ended up with a bunch of raw phone numbers in the MMS and Phone app windows since the contact names got erased. Fine, I went back in and added MobileMe again and all the contact names came back.

Luckily everything is safe with these backups but I want to consolidate the contacts from my iPhone and MobileMe and delete MobileMe or not sync with iTunes.

Which should I do? Quit MobileMe syncing or not sync with iTunes anymore? With iOS 5 will all this be automatically taken care of?

2. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

So much hate for iPhone4s going on, nobody wants to help with regular troubleshooting questions :confused:

3. gyorpb macrumors member

How can you sync both at the same time? I have my iPhone set to sync through MobileMe, and that causes the tabs for iTunes syncing to be greyed out.

If you have a MobileMe account, I recommend you sync through that. Works flawlessly (has for me over the past three years, anyway). You can just assign the numbers in Messages to the correct contacts on your phone. Although it should pick up on this by itself, really, if your contacts database is properly maintained.

.tsooJ