iPhone Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b-rad g, Jul 9, 2010.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

A quick question from an iPhone n00b. This being my first iPhone and all my contacts have previously been saved on SIM cards. And not having anywhere to sync them from, I had to input all of mine manually.

But seeing that people are returning or exchanging their phones for different problems (mine is flawless btw, not a single dropped call and cannot get the bars to drop holding it the "wrong" way). It got me thinking that if I had to exchange mine for some warranty issue or even when I get the next iPhone, how will I get my contacts to the "new" phone?

I don't have "Sync Contacts" checked because it wanted to sync from Outlook account of which I don't have (I have Yahoo). Does iTunes store contacts somewhere, or do I need to set up an Oultlook account so I can store contacts if something should happen to this phone?

Thanks for the help! :D

P.S. I went from using a "regular" phone and iTouch 2g to an iPhone and I don't think I could ever go back to using a "regular" phone again, I love this thing! :apple: :D:D

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Just synch/backup the phone on itunes and then use that backup when you get a new phone. It will transfer all of the data.:apple:

3. jstg macrumors newbie

I sync mine with Google Contacts. I have a Gmail account set up as and exchange account. If I change a contact on my phone it updates my Google contacts and if I change a Google contact it updates on my phone. I think it's rather handy

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Even without Outlook on a PC, you can still sync to Windows Address Book or Contacts, depending on whether you have XP, Vista or 7. Don't rely on a backup only.

5. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

That sounds good, but when I check "Sync Contacts" it only gives me the option to sync with Outlook. How do I get it to sync with Address Book or something other than Outlook? I'm on Vista btw.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not sure why iTunes is not giving you that option. I'll research it to see if I can come up with something.

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

What I was trying to say is that you don't necessarily have to sync with ANY address book it offers...that feature is there to help you avoid having to type in every contact if you are a first time iPhone user.

Syncing will back up the address book you created on the phone.

I do agree, better to create a Google or Yahoo account to back it up further, but you really don't need to.

8. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Your iTunes backup of your phone should take care of this. When you get your new iPhone, just restore from your backup. Done.

9. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Thanks for all your help guys!!! I may create an account just to have a safe backup for "just in case".

I am a huge fan of forums and use them for all my vehicles, with all the whining aside this looks like a great place for info on the iPhone!:D:D

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

not to take the thread too far off subject, but how do you get your contacts from the phone into gmail? I could only figure out how to synce from gmail to the phone, not the other way around! I ended up signing up for mobileme for free for 60 days just to sync my contact to mobileme then back to my new phone

11. Hankcah macrumors regular

Is there a way to filter contacts backed up in itunes. I only want a select few for my new iphone. I made the mistake of allowing gmail to input contacts on previous :/
    Thanks