iPhone "could not activate cellular data network"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shivpatel93, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shivpatel93 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. I have been just recently (as in starting yesterday) been getting the message from my iPhone 3G that it cannot activiate the cellular data network. The big E in the top-left corner of the phone's screen next to the signal bars is gone, all it has is AT&T. Now i read up and learned the E is the EDGE network that AT&T uses, and without that your internet and email wont work, which seems to be the case.
    Is this just me this is happening too? Is there anything I can do to make this work? I have Wi-Fi currently at my house so my phone is using safari and syncing my new email currectly, but as I leave the Wi-Fi zone, I get this message.
    I have tried resetting my network settings, doing a hard reset as well as powering off my phone and its been no help. I believe it might be the network that is down, butI am not certain.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Call AT&T and see if they are having problems in your area.
    If not, an OS reload may be in order.

3. shivpatel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh I hope i dont have to deal with tons of garbage. I guess I'll try talking to an AT&T cust service representative and figure things out from there. i was hoping it wouldnt have to resort to that.
    Thanks though

4. anita k macrumors newbie

plz tell me how could u resolve ur problem,cause it is happening to my iphone and i can't coonect to internet in anyways.:mad: