iPhone Crack Policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bakkalohriat, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

Morning everybody. I have a quick question about the repair/replacement policy on iPhones that develop cracks in the bottom (near the 30-pin connector). I have a black 8GB model, so if I had a small imperfection it wouldn't be super noticeable. However, while wiping off fingerprints this morning I discovered a roughly 2mm crack running almost to the FCC logo on the back. If I take this in to the Apple store, what will they be able to do for me? :confused:

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

If it is was caused by physical damage the no. If it is because the iphone is faulty then it has been my experience with the Genius bar that they will indeed replace it for you. It all depends on the Genius that helps you. Good Luck

3. Bakkalohriat thread starter Guest

Bakkalohriat

I'm a loyal fanboy, so I take extremely good care of my iPhone; no using it as a hockey puck or other such wankery. I scheduled an appointment, so hopefully the Genius is having a good day. :p

4. chrisparr macrumors regular

LOL, Never seem the word 'wank' used in this way before.

5. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Do you have to have bought it at an Apple store to do this or can a phone purchased from AT&T be returned to an Apple store?

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Apple stores fix all apple iphones or replace them on the spot(within warranty). At&t will do nothing and give you the Apple number if you need a fix. But if you dont live near an apple store you can send it off to Apple and they are pretty fast about returning it. 1-800-My-Iphone. And with a little bargaining they will waive the fee for a loaner iphone. Good Luck

7. Bakkalohriat thread starter Guest

Bakkalohriat

They did replace my iPhone, but the Genius tried to tell me that it wasn't policy to replace cracked units. I suspect that was more to deter me from encouraging everyone with a minor defect to come in than to remind me of actual policy.

8. eggmclovin macrumors member

eggmclovin

Why not tell the Genius you have some sort of software problem and get a replacement that way? I said my phone heats up when its charging and that worked for me. Walked out with a brand new replacement.