iPhone Crash and S.A.D may due to problems with the Bluetooth Radio.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by squarejp, Sep 3, 2008.

1. squarejp macrumors newbie

I have just posted in Apple discussion forum regarding to the cause of the famous iPhone crash that I love to call it S.A.D (Silver Apple of Death). I know all the so called prevention to avoid S.A.D such as don't overload the iPhone, install less Apps, don't sync Apps with iTunes, etc, but I don't think those are the causes. I highly suspect that the Bluetooth with a paired headset is the cause for all the iPhone crashes and S.A.D.

My own post:
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8013217

People with Good experience:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1693616&tstart=0

I have read numerous post regarding to iPhone crashing, and now I have finally encountered some people without crashing at all. Those people have also tried the Apps install stress test to install Apps until the 6th page and still have encountered no crash nor iBrick which we called this SAD.

I am now suspecting if the crash is related to Bluetooth constantly ON and is paired to a headset. I keep Bluetooth On all the time because I only talk on the phone with my Bluetooth headset. Of course my WiFi has to be on when downloading large files.

Please help me to verify the Apps crash problem if it's caused by Bluetooth.

Thanks!

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for trying, but the cause of ALoDs (Apple Logo of Death) has already been determined to be a watchdog process from pre-2.0 days that forcibly kills and then restarts Springboard when it is unresponsive for more than two minutes. Unfortunately, it often takes Springboard more than two minutes to regenerate the application map following an install/upgrade. So there ya go.

Oh and I've suffered through more than 40 ALoDs, 90% of those occurred with BT powered off. ;)

3. squarejp thread starter macrumors newbie

So does it mean Apple is going to release the fix in version 2.1?

Also, I haven't jail broken my iPhone because i'm afraid if something goes wrong. After jailbreaking, is there anyway to go back to the official firmware in case of warranty? Thanks

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

there's nothing to fear about jailbreaking. unlocking, maybe just a little bit and only until a software unlock is available for the 3G.

to go back to stock, all you do is plug the phone in, and click restore in iTunes.

5. The Prole macrumors newbie

Yep, that's exactly what is causing my crashes. They happened on 2.0 and 2.1.

I tried all sort of different restores and App configurations. I use bluetooth to PAIR with my car's built in system. My crashes were happening several times a day, and especially after I got out of my car. I've now been running with Bluetooth off for the last two weeks and NO crashes...except last night, when, you guessed it, I turned Bluetooth back on.

I think for the time being I will be leaving Bluetooth alone till it gets sorted, hopefully in the next update.