iPhone Crash: Software or hardware issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wayland1985, Sep 17, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

My iPhone 3g, 16gb is acting strange. I've had it for several months without issue. When Snow leopard showed up, I did a full software restore (just to "clean" up the phone, and make it a little snappier). It was working fine, but this past week and a half, I've had a couple of issues.

For one, the phone seems to go into a deep sleep. 3 times in the past week, after putting the phone into standby, it wouldn't awaken. The battery is full, and the phone wasn't shut down, but it becomes unresponsive to any input (the home and sleep button don't turn the screen on, and the silence toggle doesn't put the phone into silent (you don't get a vibrate confirming your selection). The only way to get the phone to turn on is to perform a soft-reset (Holding the home button and standby button together).

Another issue may be just AT&T, although I'm unsure. I'll suddenly lose service down to 1 bar. I'll have full service, and suddenly 1 bar, with no data. It has occurred in several locations, and several times. I'll also lose data for several minutes (text messages wont send, and my 3g or edge wont work either...the phone will try and download something, but it will hang while trying to download).

Do these sound like software issues, or is it my phone?? I have an appointment this afternoon at the genius bar, and the last thing I want is the runaround: "Well, I'll just do a full system restore, and you can come back in if the issue continues". Getting the the store with my 12 hour shifts isn't very easy....

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

My wife's phone is dealing with your first issue. A lot of people have been having that problem since 3.1 release, so it's likely software. I hope Apple fixes it soon.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope so. I'm heading to the store tonight, so we'll see what's up. The service issue is still concerning.