Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Yesterday, I pushed the home button on my iPhone 3G 16 gig.
The screen flashed and went blacked. It was like it was dead. No key presses or combinations would have a response. Eventually it came back and rebooted itself.
But ... when it came back, the screen had the picture of a USB cable and iTunes. Implying "plug me into iTunes". If I moved the on slider switch, it went to a emergency calling screen. It also said no service in the top left.

When I got home, I plugged it into my computer and it said something about being activated.
The phone then started working properly.

Any one ever seen this?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Yesterday, I pushed the home button on my iPhone 3G 16 gig.
The screen flashed and went blacked. It was like it was dead. No key presses or combinations would have a response. Eventually it came back and rebooted itself.
But ... when it came back, the screen had the picture of a USB cable and iTunes. Implying "plug me into iTunes". If I moved the on slider switch, it went to a emergency calling screen. It also said no service in the top left.

When I got home, I plugged it into my computer and it said something about being activated.
The phone then started working properly.

Any one ever seen this?

Yes that happened to me twice. No rhyme or reason as to why.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Yeh has happened to me too. Turning off and on sorted it for me, which was good as I wasnt near the mac

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I had to cut a weekend trip short because this happened and I didn't have my laptop. Total bummer, hopefully it's not an issue anymore with 3.0

I've heard something about OTA activations (meaning AT&T activates it without needing to plug it in), anyone know if this might solve the problem if you can't get to your computer?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Force reboot it next time (hold + home button for 5 secs).

I've had this one when I was out during the day, told me to plug into iTunes after something went wrong. I force rebooted and it came back to life again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.