iPhone creating an anti-halo effect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jellybean, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jellybean macrumors regular

I know lots of people with iPhones. Most of them for various reasons HATE their iPhones. For some it's because they rushed out and bought one without doing any research and now complain that it can't MMS/bluetooth file transfer, yadi yada. For some it's because they've had faulty iPhones. Even people I know who don't own iPhones mock it for its lack of phone features. It's considered a joke by a lot of people. I couldn't care less about what everyone else thinks, I LOVE my iPhone. But all this negativity makes me wonder... is this causing an anti-halo effect? Most of these people will probably never consider a Mac or iPod now. They'll see the Apple logo and instantly dismiss it because of their bad experiences with the iPhone. Of all the millions of iPhones Apple have sold around the world this year, what percentage of those sales have been to people who are still satisfied. Anyone else think all this iPhone hype could be as much of a bad thing for Apple as it is a good thing?

2. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

I don't think so, I mean the sales numbers prove that the iPhone is killing. Sure it won't be for everyone, but thats no different than the HTC touch or Storm not being for me.

I think that if anything, the iPhone will get more people into Apple than pulling people away.

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I'm willing to bet, that for every one person who has problems with their iPhone(I don't btw), there's a whole lot more who are smitten.

If the iPhone was really as bad as the naysayers would wish to have us believe, there's no way it would have sold as much.

4. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Typical isn't it, you only hear the bad news but not the good!

I'll join with you and say I LOVE MY iPhone!!

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Everyone I know with an iPhone loves it. Therefore, iPhones are awesome. :rolleyes:

Honestly, saying "I know some people with iPhones and they hate them, does that mean iPhones are bad" is just silly. As a sample, it's statistically insignificant. The number of iPhones sold would suggest that many people love them.

And those people you know who complain about lack of MMS or Bluetooth transfers should have done their research before buying. I wouldn't buy a PC and then complain it doesn't have OSX on it.

6. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

Depends on who you hang out with, maybe? ;)

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...ustomer-satisfaction-survey-rim-trails-at-54/

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

yup

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This reminds me of all the people online who HATE iTunes and would NEVER use it.

Well, they probably don't use it, but it hasn't stopped Apple from selling millions and millions of iPods.

Sometimes a few dissatisfied people are just that: A few.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I know people who have Wiis that never play them. Does this mean Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot because SOME of the people who bought it don't like it? Additionally, you're anecdotal "I know people with iPhones that don't like them" is pretty meaningless when they're clearly still selling like hot cakes. I know a TON of people that hate Windows. Somehow hasn't prevented them from have over %90 market penetration.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I know people who have Wiis that never play them. Does this mean Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot because SOME of the people who bought it don't like it? Additionally, you're anecdotal "I know people with iPhones that don't like them" is pretty meaningless when they're clearly still selling like hot cakes. I know a TON of people that hate Windows. Somehow hasn't prevented them from have over %90 market penetration.

And it's "Yadda, yadda, yadda." Damn kids don't know anything anymore.

11. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I know several people with Iphones and all of them say they love it. I love mine and wouldn't have anything else. A girl in my office just got a Samsung Instinct and she said today "I want your phone"

No ill effect. Its the business.

12. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

Is this serious? The iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction rate of all PDA/Smartphones released to date.

13. firewood macrumors 604

half empty or half full?

The iPhone is awful...

however all the alternatives are even worse!

14. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

look at the numbers, 79% satisfaction.

The 21% must like it enough to not be a part of the RIM or WinMo statistics ;)

15. grigby1 macrumors newbie

Is the iPhone perfect, no, but I stlll love it. Kinda like the car I drive, my house, my two daughters, my wife, the sushi I had for lunch.......

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

To date?

Do you mean the survey taken last spring, that talked about numbers of "very satisfied" but failed to give a scale or the results of other answers?

The same one that also reported how many iPhone users disliked being on ATT, not being able to copy/paste, or even run Java apps (!)?

Or the JD Powers one where the iPhone scored ~775 out of 1000 for ease of use? (Amazingly, Blackberries and Samsungs each got a respectable 700 or more.)

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Who are all these people who want to run Java apps on the iPhone? I'm actually a Java developer, and I've never, ever said to myself "I wish I could run Java apps on this iPhone"

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Which says nothing about the phone itself. "I don't like the iPhone because I have to be on AT&T" is not synonymous with "I don't like the iPhone". :rolleyes:

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The iPhone is one of the most expensive yet the best-selling cell phone model in the U.S. You need to find new friends.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, I was also surprised to see it halfway up the list. The survey response showed 6% didn't like "Lack of Java Applications". Suspect mostly business or overseas users.

I develop business apps using Java Mobile. It's nice to write once and be able to cover multiple phones at one time. Apple, of course, simply doesn't want any way for others to sell apps without Apple getting a cut.

True, just as being "very satisfied" with the iPhone is not synonymous with "I'll also go buy a Mac".

But each is related.

21. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

their negativity is not bad a wave but a demonstration of insatisfaction. lets see an avareage person couldnt care less about how the shininess of the curves of the aluminium apple on the back of their iphone have a repercutation in their circle. they are concerned about the work they had to do to pay a gadget thAt misses simple features.
    because is the law of consumerism, you work to buy and fell rewarded, or short of. so why we have people to do if iphone is coliding? you cant even copy paste on the thing

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was a PC user before I got my iPhone. Pretty sure I'm not the only covert here either.

23. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I am a PC user of the iPhone. I like it, but I have no intentions of going Mac. However, go to any shopping site and you will see the same: 20 people who love the item and one person who's too stupid to use the item. I believe it is a hobby of some people to write bad reviews for products they never own.

24. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The only thing that angers me about the iphone is the dropped calls .... every other issue I can live with.

FIX THE DROPPED CALLS!!

25. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I have had only one dropped call on my iphone since I have owned it. I do live in an area with plenty of coverage and the dropped calls are not the iphones issue, its a provider issue.