iPhone Credit Check

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Oct 6, 2009.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Hey guys,

My friend is interested in getting an iphone, but they are worried about the credit check. I am just curious how strict the credit check is and what happens if you don't have good credit.

Thanks!

2. bjelder macrumors member

Apparently they make you put down a security deposit in cash. I knew somebody who they wanted 750 from.

3. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

If your credit is so bad that you can't get an iPhone, maybe getting an iPhone isn't the right thing to do. Just a thought.

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Its not for me, I already have one.

5. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

That was a general "your" not specific to you.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Surely, someone with a bad credit record shouldn't even consider buying something like an iPhone on credit. It's a case of adding insult to injury!

7. crpercodani macrumors member

Indeed your friend should be careful if he can't afford the $70+ a month bill, but AT&T isn't to strict with the credit check. My ex's car was reposed and like 3 weeks later she got a iPhone 3GS 32GB from AT&T with no security deposit.

8. christyn macrumors 6502a

There are lots of reasons someone's credit might not be good. Plenty of people can have less than perfect credit, and still be able to afford an iPhone. And we're talking about the credit check to get approved on AT&T, not talking about this person or his friend charging it, unless I'm missing something.

To the OP, I've seen some people put down a desposit as little as $50 up to $900.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

QFT. People so quick to speak on situations they have no knowledge of because they think they know :rolleyes:

10. nyisles84 macrumors regular

I know someone who had to filed for Bankruptcy in 2007 and was able to get an iPhone in June. I am not sure what their standards are for who needs a deposit or not.

11. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't check your credit, AT&T does when you go to set up a new account.

12. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I have had crappy credit in the past, so bad that I couldn't get a credit card or even certain jobs. (It's better now.) I had no deposit when I got mine. The kid next to me, I think he was all of 18 or 19, they wanted a 750 deposit for him! I think in this case NO credit is way worse than BAD credit.

13. army91c macrumors 6502a

The credit reporting agencies are a joke giving people that pay their bills on time low credit ratings simply because they have a lot of debt. I have no late payments on my credit report yet my credit is not that great. House, one car, 2 sets of student loans (75k and growing) and the usual credit cards = high income to debt ratio = supposedly bad credit risk. Of course all the know it all's here on MR know best..... Worse thing can happen is they say no then he saves his pennies and buys one for $.

14. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Living in California I don't think I had one done when I got my phone...lucky for me!

15. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Yes you did, at some point when you started service with at&t they check your credit. I've been with them for 13 years, but on day one they checked my credit.