iPhone crushed, still works but can't get data off it

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eljefe4u, Sep 4, 2013.

1. eljefe4u macrumors newbie

Hoping someone can assist here. My phone was crushed, but it still works. The glass is broken and it will not allow me to input numbers to unlock it. How can I get into the phone so I can sync the data to my Macbook?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

You should still be able to backup to a computer you last used to back it up to. I once dipped my phone into the ocean, and after drying out its screen was dead, but it connected and backed up to my computer just fine, even though there was a passcode on the phone and no way for me to enter it. So just make sure you are connecting to the same laptop you last backed up to.

If that does not work, there are some third party applications that claim to back up data from a locked iPhone, but I have never tried using them so cannot vouch for that. Google something like "backup locked iphone".

3. hinusdow macrumors newbie

iPhone crushed, still works but can't get data off it

You can recover from an old backup, but it will recover everything in that backup; there's no way to selectively recover from a backup. Which is a good reason to back up daily.
    If you back up to your computer connect the phone to your computer, right click on it in iTunes, and choose "restore from backup". If you back up to iCloud go to Settings/General/Reset - Erase All Content and Settings. You will then be asked if you want to restore from the iCloud backup.