iPhone cuts/scrapes out of box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThirteenXIII, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Went to the VZ store to pick up my iphone as they were honoring my NE2 promotion and had them in stock.
    The rep took the phone in back to 'activate' it even though I figured I could have easily accomplished this at home, but any rate everything seemed fine and yesterday a day after getting the phone noticed there were cuts on the metal band by the headphone jack and mute switch.
    I brought it back, and VZ said they cant accept the return for the cosmetic blemish as I told them I barely had handled it much since getting it and could have been the rep who was the one handling it to activate it (as the first time they activated the wrong phone number on it and took back into the back to restore it). So either it came that way out of the box or was mishandled by the rep, not 100% sure.

I dont mean to be uberly picky or 'OCD' or over the top, but would Apple possibly do a replacement?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Not for cosmetic damages, no. If the issue happened at the Verizon store, you should have noticed it right away and said something, but the fact that you went home and then returned makes them think that it was not their (Verizon) fault.

Do those scratches prevent the phone from functioning in any way, because then Apple would.

I understand that you paid a lot of money for your phone, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I am pretty sure that 99% of the time your going to be staring at the screen and not the metal band.

(I may change my point of view if you can post some pictures of the affect area)

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Sure, it sucks... but as long as it doesn't affect the functionality of the phone, it'll be alright. And once you slap a bumper or case on it, you won't see it and probably even forget about it.

4. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Don't you have to check the phone for flawlessness first before they even touch it?

I (in o2 store, Germany) had to unbox it myself, check it - accept it - and then they took it to activate it.

5. Geffen macrumors 6502

I would have examined the phone after the Verizon rep took it in the back to activate it, didn't they hand the phone back to you once it was activated? then you could've noticed the scrapes and cuts on the phone? usually in this case its your word against theirs and i'm sure they're not going to tell you if they dropped your phone or handled it roughly in the backroom. You could always try to return it to an Apple store and see what they say, the worst that they could say is no.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There have been many, many cases in which people took their phones back to an Apple store to get it replaced due to cosmetic reasons. An AT&T or VZW store might not with their limited supply. You generally have better chances at an Apple store with customer service anyway.

Doesn't hurt to try.

7. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didnt notice anything when I first looked at it but Im assuming it was the customer service rep that might have dinged it up after i returned back to the store after noticing the rep put the wrong number on my phone :rolleyes:

I can show them my 2 year old uMBP and 8 month iPad that have all been caseless since day one, travelled over the country without a single scratch, ding, dent etc.

I'm not going to raise hell over it, more so just irked about it being brand new and already chingered up.
    I never intended on putting a case on this phone at all as they seem to ugly it up and take away form the sleek form factor