iPhone damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macdeez, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

How prone is the iPhone to damage? I want to buy one tomorrow but I really don't want to put a cover on it unless I really need to so that I can preserve it. I I have a 2nd gen iPod that I've been using for around 3 years now and the back is so scratched you can barely see the picture and writing. Will the iPhone chassis scratch as easily as the iPods? I know its glass but is it weaker?

Thank you :)

2. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

if you drop it it'll crack. i plan on buying a bumper for mine. not a quite a case, but might give it some shock absorption if i were to drop it on the corner/side

3. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

What about placing it on surfaces? My iPod is basically scratched from surfaces. Does the iPhone scratch that easily?

4. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

yeah probably not like the chrome ipods. but the white would be better. altho i dont think either will be anything to worry about

5. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

my old iPhone 4 i had dropped it multiple times on the glass on both sides at different times and it never cracked or chipped, call me lucky

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I use the pixel skin hd case. I wouldn't want to drop it without some sort of protection.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Depending on the surface, the back will scratch. Just sliding my case on and off from Sedio has left a single long scratch on the back. The aluminum on your iPod is soft and the glass on the iPhone is harder but it will show wear.

I like to use the Barely There case as it protects the device from scratches and add little to no size to the device. Hate sticky gel covers and they can actually scratch the phone.

8. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    If you're worried, get a case. I'm loving my new LifeProof.com case. It's got mil-spec shock resistance and I can take it underwater. I'm not going out of my way to try to hurt the iPhone inside it, but I feel pretty confident it won't get damaged.