iPhone Dashboard Mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Penguinwrangler, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

Has anyone come across any decent devices for attaching your iPhone to the dashboard of your car in any way? Even better, is there one that uses the rivet clip system??

2. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

This is the one I ordered. haven't had a chance to test it yet though since I don't have an iPhone. Next month I'll be able to give you a better idea. But it's only $40 after shipping so it might be worth the gamble.

3. trav macrumors member

trav

I have a nice "arm" that sticks to the windshield OR dashboard and holds the product where you want it. Makes driving with maps much nicer. It also has adjustable bottom clips so the iPhone doesn't slip out, yet leaves room for a power source to be connected. I don't know if it will still work with iPhone 3G with the curvier design. I'll snap a picture and get more info for you and post later after work.

4. trav macrumors member

trav

Alright, here's the info. I have this one (see link/picture below):
    HTML:
    http://us.kensington.com/html/13183.html
    ...and LOVE it! It was flawless for my iPhone and even works with my RAZR while I wait for July 11th. Here's a picture of it in my own car:

[​IMG]

Enjoy! It's fantastic! And now that I know their website, I'm going to check out their other accessories!

5. Penguinwrangler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info on both of these. I guess I'm going to just come back here after the 11th and read the reviews. It will be interesting to see how the curved back plays with these.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've been using the Belkin Acrylic Clear Case with an adhesive on the dashboard mount, then I just slide the iPhone w/case onto the mount and it becomes hands free with BT, Bose In-Ear-Headphones, and even the iPod feature of my iPhone. Great for checking out traffic on maps app. :cool:

7. A-1QP macrumors newbie

I like the iarmor 's dash mount.

8. Gitgat macrumors newbie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KFRPG
    i have one of these in my truck, i never use it as a belt clip,
    it has clips that attach to a heating/cooling vent, and man are they on there good, i had a hard time getting it off without breaking it to move it from one vent to another (i didn't like the original placement)
    its also nice cause you can fairly easily remove the belt clip part from the vent mout part and use it as a stand for watching movies.

the phone is in there really secure while at the same time its ridiculously easy to insert and remove the phone one handed. and i dont worry about it falling out (and i do a fair amount of mudding and offroading in my truck)

overall well worth the money

9. goodwilldrums macrumors regular

10. davetx macrumors newbie

I just ordered this one:

[​IMG]

With their ball and socket mount which will enable me to rotate the Iphone depending on what I'm viewing.

It is made by Ram Mount. They also have an Iphone 3g specific cradle

[​IMG]

But it requires the phone to be naked, and I use an Incase Slider and the other cradle should accommodate it.

I will let you know how it works out after I receive it.

11. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Nice, but I don't really want the FM transmitter, but do like the fact you can charge it.

www.ProClipUSA.com has custom solutions for almost every car but it is expensive.

12. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I can't recommend the ProClip enough. It had the best reviews I came across when deciding on a mount, and I am not disappointed. It's definitely on the pricey side, but the mount is flawless.

14. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

15. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Does it swivel so I can watch videos in landscape mode? Trying to figure if it's worth it to me since I return my leave in a year and a half.

16. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

This was one of my questions before I bought the Pro Clip model.

Another question I have is how hard/time consuming is it if I bought one mount for my phone but 2 mounts for my 2 cars. How fast would I be able to interchange the iphone mount between the cars? Any screwdrivers or other tools needed to do this?

17. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes ... the Proclip swivels and works fine in landscape mode.

19. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I've got an extra Proclip 1st gen iPhone device holder if anyone wants one for cheap. Just PM me (It's the stationary one, no swivel).

20. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

I'm not sure you'll have an answer to my question posted above?

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Since the HOLDER comes with the swivel attached it won't be practical to do that. If you were able to obtain 2 SWIVELS it would be a 3 second job to swap them. There is one easily reached machine screw to remove the swivel from the holder but 4 "sheet metal" type screws to remove the swivel from the mount.

22. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

Thanks

It doesn't look like they sell the swivels by themselves (at least I haven't found them on their website). It might even be worth it to just by one base for each car instead of trying to change them out...

Thanks for the reply.

23. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The BASE does not have the swivel. The MOUNT does. Removing the mount & swivel is what you would have to do but after doing that 2 or 3 times the 4 self-tapping screw holes would become stripped. You would need just the swivel part of the device mount which they don't sell separately. Only 1 machine screw removes that and it could be easily switched.

24. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

SCREW RAM MOUNT

I placed my order on the 27th of AUGUST

today is the 6th of September and they FINALLY send me an e-mail telling me they

a) are back ordered

b) have "fowarded my order to GPS city.com"

c) Have yet to respond to my e-mail

SCREW YOU !

grrrrrrrr