iPhone data connection used with notebook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaddieBrad, Oct 6, 2007.

1. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

I am looking to get an iphone with o2 on Nov. 9th. I am curious though... can i use the iphones data capabilities to connect to the internet with my macbook pro? Noone at o2 has been able to answer my question.

anyone??

B

2. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

3. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

If you are asking whether or not it can be tethered to be used as a modem for your macbook the answer is no.

Someone chime in if I am wrong, but as far as the US version you could not

4. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

I believe the answer is no. Just because no one here in the US can do so either. no one has figured out a way to connect your iphone with Bluetooth or wifi to a laptop. You would think by now Apple would have go rid of using wires and plugs to connect to your computers, but than again, how would you charge your phone. Hopefully the future of hacking the iphone will find a way to do this, but even than, AT&T or your service provider would probably find a way to gimp your phone accessing data through the iphone or maybe something else more bothersome.. yeap!!

5. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

6. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

It is possible. People have done it through SSH with 3rd party apps. So if you get a 1.1.1 phone, you might as well enjoy your double tap home button instead of bluetooth data connection.

Sad thing is, my Treo did this, and Verizon even offered it as an add on service, or you could use a pirate program.

7. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

the guy here at my o2 store told me yesterday that you will be able to connect to the internet via your iphone through bluetooth. He guarenteed it. I dunno though... I can never trust those guys.

PS.. Thanks ellsworth for the props on my flickr page.

:)

8. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Currently, you CANNOT use the iPhone as a modem to connect to the internet. Wether this will come in the next update, nobody knows, however, i highly doubt it, as people will use a lot more data on their laptops then they would just browsing on the iPhone.