Iphone data only EDGE plan??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbirch, Mar 31, 2008.

1. bbirch macrumors newbie

Is there any US cell phone carrier that has data only plans that an unlocked, jailbroken iphone could use to gain internet access over EDGE?

Basically I don't want to use the iphone as a phone (I have a verizon phone on a family plan) but still want the EDGE capability to use internet when out of wifi range. Thanks in advanced!

My other option would be to get a cheap voice and add on data, but I would rather try to save the expense and not have a voice plan.

2. bbirch thread starter macrumors newbie

great!! has anyone tried this??

Also what is the status of t-mobile's 3G network in the states for when the often speculated release of a 3G iphone is introduced?

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Ouch! That's expensive; more expensive than BlackBerry, but I do like the Hotspots for T-Mobile. Though, it seems that there are AT&T Hotspots at the same locations as T-Mobile, such as Barnes & Noble, McDonalds, Starbucks, SFO and Oakland International Airport. :cool:

4. bbirch thread starter macrumors newbie

One significant thing to note from the link is that this is for DATA ONLY! It is not an add-on feature to an existing voice plan, so you are paying a slight premium for not having a voice plan--but it is still cheaper overall than getting a voice+data add on!

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks for the clarification. You can probably tell that my iPhones aren't unlocked or jailbroken, that's why I'm ignorant to what else is out there and what works and what doesn't work for "others." :eek::eek:

6. jcswim312 macrumors newbie

i know t-mobile charges $40 but how much is the cheapest t mobile voice +data plan