iphone data only package in US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mhuk01, Oct 17, 2010.

1. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

Hi
    I'm moving from the UK to the US, working on a cruise ship for six months. I'm after some advice as to the cheapest way I can access the internet net from the ship when in port (miami).

After some research I am more confused than ever! I've looked at purchasing a t-mobile PAYG sim on ebay before leaving, then topping it up to use in my unlocked iphone 4. I must stress I'm after the cheapest data only package, wont have a US address (so can't sign any contracts?) and wont need to make any voice calls/texts as I'll just use skype.

Another possible option i've come across is to buy an AT&T ipad sim, somehow get it activated and use it in the iphone4. I don't know if this is even possible, and if i need to be a US citizen with address etc for it to work.

If anyone has any thoughts on all this that would be great - I leave for the US in less than two weeks!

Cheers

2. crawsfire macrumors member

Every cruise ship I have been on has had free wifi, underway or docked.

3. mhuk01 thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm almost certain that the ship will be so much per minute, and dial-up speeds (as so many people are one it), plus with being crew we have lower priority.

4. mhuk01 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer