iPhone Data Plan and Pre-Ordering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stefc93, Jun 11, 2010.

1. stefc93 macrumors regular

1. I just went to my local AT&T store and they told me that I would have to get the $25 2GB data plan because, even though I have been an AT&T customer for numerous years now, since I have a BlackBerry, my current $30 unlimited plan for the BlackBerry won't work with the iPhone 4 since it has a different plan. Is this true? I don't come anywhere near 2GB of usage per month but I'd still like to know.

2. Also, since I won't be eligible for an upgrade until this December, I'm going to use the upgrade eligibility from the other line in my household. So I will be doing an upgrade swap. If I were to pre-order from AT&T's website, how would I do the upgrade swap/activation at home once my iPhone 4 arrives?

2. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, is it safe to sell my BlackBerry with the SIM card? Or should I hold onto the SIM card?

3. stefc93 thread starter macrumors regular

4. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

Defiantly keep your SIM! You wouldn't want some stranger to have that...

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

1. I'm not sure about this.

2. If your contract ends in December 2010, your number should be eligible for $199/$299 pricing.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/atandt-upgrade-to-iphone-4-up-to-six-months-early/

EDIT: Posted too soon, seems you have to be a current iPhone owner with a contract ending this year.

6. tylertech macrumors regular

1. Yes, you have to get the $25 plan because the iPhone has its own plan separate from Blackberry's.

2. Pre-order using the line that is eligible, and once it comes, assuming you can activate through iTunes, just activate the MicroSIM using the line that you want it on.

7. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

If someone at the AT&T store is giving you a hard time about transferring another smartphone's unlimited data plan to the new iPhone 4 unlimited data plan, do direct them to this OFFICIAL AT&T press release in which it clearly states under the section titled "New Wireless Data Plans", quote:

I would say a Blackberry is a smartphone, wouldn't you? In fact, anyone's AT&T account that has a data plan that says "Smartphone" anywhere in the title would fall under "Smartphone customers" and would, in fact, be grandfathered-in should they choose to upgrade to an iPhone according to this article.

Quite explicit if you ask me. It's all there in black and white.