Iphone data usage question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zacb, Jan 12, 2012.

1. zacb macrumors newbie

I am wondering if I am able to stop my iphone 3gs from using data without fully turning it off, it is jailbroken and unlocked, I need data on only for picture sending/receiving, but it seems to be using data other than that and charging me for it, while its on.

Note:my plan incudes unlimited picture sending/receiving but no data plan (and don't want one)

thanks

2. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

Settings, General, Network.
    Turn Cellular Data Off.

That will keep Wifi and Bluetooth on, but will turn off all the data traffic over GSM, Edge and 3G
    SMS and MMS will still work.

3. MrBullet macrumors member

If you are worried about going over your data limit you can use an app called Onavo that shrinks your data. It's an excellent app. I highly recommend it.
    http://www.onavo.com/

4. zacb thread starter macrumors newbie

when I turn cellular Data off, I can no longer send picture messages, it comes up with an error "your message was not sent. Tap "try again" to send this message" , sms still works

----------

I'll check out that App now, thanks, not on a data plan trying to make data usage 0, but maybe it can help :)

5. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I stand corrected, however if you have a wifi connection it works.

6. zacb thread starter macrumors newbie

just tested if it will work on wifi, and it, comes up with the same error :/

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, MMS doesnt send with wifi.
    If you have carrier data off you will not be able to send or receive MMS.
    Make your choice OP.
    You cant have both carrier data off and still use MMS or visual voicemail.

8. zacb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm just leaving it off, for now, I just want to disable the usage of my iPhone using random data, it costed me 20$ -.- I don't use any data other then to send pictures which was like 2...

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Makes sense.
    I hate overages too.
    I accidentally dialed 411 insteal of 611 the other day for AT&T customer service and got a nice $2 charge on my bill this month:D
    I thought I hang up right away but no cigar.

10. zacb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, they rip you off so bad for things you don't pay for :p, Picture messages aren't a big deal, just nice to have when i want to use, but oh well, can still send just got to turn data on... then off once its sent!