iPhone data use in background

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leon12, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Leon12 macrumors newbie

Hello

I have been conducting a little test on my iphone over the last couple of hours. I went into the mobile usage and made a note of the data use about two hours ago and I have just gone back in and can see that it has increased. I have all apps closed and have not gone onto the internet in that time.

Its frustrating me and I am worried now that when I leave my house (out of range of Wi-Fi) my phone will get through lots of data and potentially mean I end up having to pay more for it each month.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how I can stop it?

Many Thanks

Leon

2. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

How much data is it using?

It's probably something like something like push notifications, iMessage, location services and the apps which use it, etc.

If it's something little like 100KB or less, I probably wouldn't worry about it much.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Have 1,000 friends who LUV MMS'ing you their latest amusing videos?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Was it a significant increase? In that case, was it charging and connected to wifi? It might have been an iCloud backup.

If not, did you receive any e-mails, notifications or anything of the sort during this time? Even having an e-mail account set to fetch will use a tiny amount of data every time it connects to see if there's anything new on the server.

5. Leon12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello all

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately none of what you have suggested is something that my phone is doing.

I have only just received the phone a couple of days ago and I havent event set up any email accounts yet. Therefore it can't be that an email account is checking its mail server. In any case I have already been into settings and turned off push and set fetch to manual. Location services itself is on but I have turned it off for each of the individual apps in the list.

Yesterday it was only about 0.5 MB that it increased but today I did another test and left 3G on all day but didnt use it once to go onto the internet. I also turned off imessage so did not manually do anything to use data all day. No one has sent me an MMS either just a few SMS today but nothing more than that. As for notifications I have turned off anything that could use data. The only things that can now send notifications are Phone, Messages, Reminders and calendar - all of which I understand do not use data.

Just before I left the house this morning I went into Settings-General-Usage-Mobile Usage and it was on 24.1 MB and I checked when I got in from work this evening and it was on 25,5MB so seems to have increased by 1.4 MB itself during the full working day that I was away from the house.

Now I know this isnt much but it is still very annoying and given that I have only just got the phone (as I say I havnt even set up any email accounts yet) I believe this should not be happening. Any ideas as to what could be going on which has made the phone use this data?

Thanks again.

Leon

6. cynics macrumors G3

There will be a small amount of data usage that you'll be unable to prevent. I'd suggest turning cellular data off in settings if you want to make sure it doesn't use any.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

Do you have iCloud set up?

Have you looked at the notification centre, could it be the weather update?