iPhone data wipeout?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wayland1985, Oct 22, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I just sold an old iPhone on ebay. I want to make sure I wipe all of the data from the phone. I did the system reset (within the iPhone's own software, not connected to my MBP), and it seems to have cleared everything. (There wont be any recoverable data, will there???)

The only thing it keeps, however, is the MY PHONE NUMBER IS. I don't want the buyer to find out my personal phone number (he has my ebay contact info, that should be enough). How do I wipe that too? Is it linked to my SIM card? (When I remove the SIM card it still shows).

Is there a way to run the iPhone without a sim card??? Whenever you reset the phone's software with no SIM installed, you only get the option to make emergency calls...

Any help would be appreciated, so I can ship this off to the buyer today! Thanks!

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I think the SIM card is holding it. If you did the Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings, then it will erase everything (2 hour process, as it says).

Unless you're jailbroken, you have to have a SIM in to use the phone, so you can't see it. But if you remove the SIM, it should work like you suspect. Your number shouldn't be stored.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

When the OP says "reset," I think he did a reset all settings. So, he needs to do an erase all content and settings. NOTHING will be on the phone then.

4. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I reset all content and settings, as described by Clete2. Everything except my phone number appears to be gone.

I guess I'll just reset it again (all content and settings) without the SIM installed, and send it to the winner as is. Hopefully that does the trick.

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

When I sold my iPhone 3G, I did a reset all settings and I haven't had any repercussions. :) I just removed the SIM afterward.