Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slugg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
Hey everyone,

So my Dad just gave me his old iPhone after two years of abuse, so naturally, it's dented and such (which doesn't bother me too much), but what is annoying is the dead pixels on the screen:

0bb04105578b07c6ad35a219be860a36.png

So I called up Apple support, expecting them to just tell me how much it would be to repair the damn thing, but instead, I get some redneck lady telling me that I don't even have phone support with the thing. So I kept googling around, until I found this iPhone repair site, which is charging $155 to replace the LCD on the screen. So I was wondering if:

A) This site is reliable and not going to take my money/iPhone and run
B) If they're overpriced
C) If I'd be easier if I just did it myself, since it's definitely a lot cheaper to.

Thanks in advance.

Slugg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
Sorry for the double post, but does anyone have any tips here? I dropped my iPhone again and now even more pixels are dying :/

Protium

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Hiyas friend.
It appears that your Iphone has a bad LCD screen. These are pretty easy to replace on the Iphone 3G. I have no experience with the website you linked but I have had experience with directfix.com. They sell Iphone touch panels and LCDs and also offer a repair service. You can buy an LCD from them for only 49.99 and install it yourself after you watch their how-to video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.