iPhone Delimma.. Advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freshness, May 4, 2011.

1. freshness macrumors newbie

So I have the iPhone 3GS and it is seriously falling apart.. It has been through a lot (dropped in the shower, constantly dropped on pavement, etc) and is finally on it's last leg.

So what should I do? Should I buy an iPhone 4 even though a newer one may come later this year, buy another 3GS although that would restart my contract, or keep this beat up phone until a newer phone comes out?

What do you think?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Either get a new iphone 4 or wait if you can for the next one.
    I wouldnt get another 3GS and get locked into a contract with a 2 year old device.
    Its well worth the $100 extra for the i4 for get a refurb iphone 4 16GB for $99.

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

take it in and say you want the battery replaced, and get a new one for 79 bucks.

4. freshness thread starter macrumors newbie

Would they actually do that? Sounds too easy, haha.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With water damage they will charge him $199 for a replacement.

6. icstars989 macrumors member

Dropped in the shower?

Definitely take it in and see what they can do for you, as long as you're honest with them, they have always been very easy to deal with.

7. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

If you really can't use the phone anymore, I would try and get a cheap phone off of ebay or a friend. I think it's worth waiting a few months for the latest iphone. I would not get another 3GS and lock yourself into a 2 yr contract.

8. freshness thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I dropped it in the shower.. It didn't cause any problems though. I threw it in some rice and it was all legit afterwards.

The headphone jack doesn't work and I have no idea why. If I plug in headphones I get a bunch of static and unbalanced volume. It's like jack hole is too big or something.

There is a big bar across the screen of misplaced pixels because I dropped it on a hitch of a car when walking through a parking lot..

Then I dropped it yesterday and now there is a big hole between the power button the chrome frame. This has all happened in the last month. Before that it was nearly mint condition.

So yeah, it's pretty bad. The nearest Apple store isn't for two hours so should I call them up?

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

You sound accident prone. Get a Motorola Defy. It is android, but it is water-proof and shock proof

10. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Sounds like you have lint or dust in the jack - try sticking a paper clip (gently) in there and see what comes out!

Don't but another 3GS on contract, that's insane - either get the 4 or put up with it and wait for the 5, although that may be quite some time...

11. iFiend macrumors 65816

And get one of those ugly Otterbox cases. If there ever was a person who needs one it's you! You'll break that sexy glass and stainless steel sandwich before you even get her home!

12. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Which still isn't a bad deal. If the OP really wants to wait for the iPhone 5, and doesn't mind paying a bit more in the long run, they should do a $199 out of warranty replacement on the 3GS that way the contract will still be available for upgrade when the next iPhone is released.