iPhone design cycle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vancouverman, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Vancouverman macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

There has been plenty of discussion as to when the iPhone 5 is due. We will not be seeing it until 2012. They will be releasing a new iPhone in 2011 as the have done the past few years. Each year a new phone. Think of the iPhone like a car design cycle. Automobiles are typically refreshed every year, things are changed to make it new and appealing and to bring new buyers into the market as well as to bring those who are waiting for the next update in as well. Think of the iPhone in the same way. In the beginning apple released the first generation, made significant changes by bringing in the 3G and then kept it the same model but upgraded with the 3GS. They then after two years released the iPhone 4. So in 2011 we will have an upgraded 4, they will have fixed the antenna, given it some faster gear and improved the camera ect. They will do some improvements but due to the huge cost designing a new model and to keep there state of the art, they will not be changing the phone completely. I can say this with certainty due to the phones success. They won't fix what isn't broken not until 2012 or such

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

ok

thank you, but I'm still going to buy the iPhone 5, just because.

3. Vancouverman thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

What iPhone 5?

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm not sure what your point was. Everyone calls it iPhone 5 because we don't know the name yet. That's all. You'll see many different names on here. iPhone 5, iPhone 4G, etc.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Fair enough, I am going to buy the next version of the iPhone, the one that follows the iPhone 4, and that will be released at some point within the 365 days of 2011, and that is on AT&T's network.

that iPhone, thats the one that I will be buying to replace my current iPhone 4 and to satisfy my needs until the new version that you claim won't come until 2012.

7. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

NOBODY outside of a few people at Apple know what will happen, and the iPhone hasn't been around long enough to establish a pattern.

What you stated is nothing but your opinion, yet you state it as if it's fact.

And comparing a cell phone to a car is ridiculous, cars are hundreds of times more complicated.

So far, Apple has released 4 phones, 3 out of the 4 have been a new design, and I suspect the 3gs was planned when Jobs wasn't running things due to his health problems.