iPhone Desktop Caller ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by williamtcforsyt, Jan 19, 2009.

1. williamtcforsyt macrumors member

This has been bugging me for ages, so much so I'm tempted to try and write one myself!

Is there any iPhone compatible Mac caller ID application. I hate having to grab my iPhone 3G from the dock to send SMS, make and answer calls...

All the applications I've found so far aren't actually iphone compatible

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you Jailbreak and install Veency, you can control your iPhone from your Mac using a VNC client. Thus you can type emails/SMS, answer calls, etc. Only downside is that you can't use the Mac's speakers or mic, so you either need a headset, or the iPhone speakerphone.

But for the most part, it works very well. Especially for typing SMSs. :)

3. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

It sucks because I am pretty sure they are other phones that display an incoming call across the screen. And I can can not believe we can not use the computer as a bluetooth speakerphone.

4. williamtcforsyt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up, gutted that I'd have to Jailbreak - don't think I can bring myself to do that, after all I want my carrier to actually give me an upgrade to a new iPhone when the time comes :p I remember they said to me in the shop don't tamper or no upgrade!!

I've done some under the bonnet research and unfortunately the iPhone SDK does not allow for developers to implement a new Bluetooth channel - bluetooth is the only obvious way to implement such features. I guess it's Apple's call

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It doesn't have to be apple's call. In Portugal my cell phone carrier offers a desktop application that allows us to do all that, to send and receive texts and calls from the computer. It has nothing to do with the phone, just our mobile account.