iPhone dev book recommendation

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by maflynn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hey guys I'm new to iPhone development but not new to programming in general. Can any one recommend a good book to get the ball rolling and maybe a good reference book as well

I'm goining through the reference/guided online at apple but I'm old school and prefer books

thanks in advance
    Mike

2. ethical macrumors 68000

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks, I'm familiar enough with object-c so I may give that a shot

Thanks

4. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Just wondering what do you me enough? Because I'm through a good ways of the Programming in Obj-c 2.0 book by Mr. Kochan and I'm still pondering what the Apple doccumantation is saying.

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One question/concern I have for this book is how useful/relevant will it be since it looks like its based on SDK2 and we're on SDK3. I'd hate to be trying to learn something from the book and then figure out why it isn't working for me.

Familiar enough that I don't think I need a ton of hand holding/absolute beginner information. I've gone through portions of the Obj-c 2.0 book myself - some time ago so the syntax and nomenclature is completely alien to me.

6. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

The "3" in the title (Beginning iPhone 3 Development) means it's for SDK 3. I bought the original (for SDK 2) and then 3 when it came out, and handed down the original to a newbie. It's good. Just make sure you get "3". Of course, Apple just announced 4... so it's a moving target!

Erica Sadun's "The iPhone Developer's Cookbook" is a similar story. I bought the original and found it very useful. Just picked up the new edition which covers 3, and is more than twice as thick!

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Duh, sorry. I've been searching and looking on amazon. I must of had an older book up that was based on the older sdk when I asked the question. I hadn't realized I was on a different book.

The knocks on that book revolve around not putting the coding the various class files and such and so that's concerned me.

8. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

No problem. Easy to gloss over.

Perhaps but (1) you can download all the code (even without buying the book, but you should) from her website, (2) I've got sticky notes everywhere on that book... it's got a lot of useful tips, in a cookbook format which is very useful, for 'random access', and (3) Erica is really worth supporting. She was doing apps before the appstore was even conceived, and sharing with the community.

9. ethical macrumors 68000

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went with the Beginning iPhone 3 Development book but depending on fast I go through or if I'm unhappy with it, I'll try the iPhone Developers Cookbook

Thanks guys.
    I'm anxious to get the ball rolling and while I have a few ideas for apps, I also understand I need to learn to crawl before I can even attempt to run :D