Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Hello Everyone... I am relatively new to this forum and look forward to being an active participant in the future... With that said I have a question that I would really appreciate some guidance on.

I am EXTREMELY interested in getting the iPhone 3.0 firmware through my own iPhone Dev Account... Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay the $100 a year to become a member of the Dev Center...

As a result 9 of my friends and I are each putting in $10 into a pool and I am going to then make an iPhone Dev Account... ;)

It is my understanding that we will then have 100 UUIDs to add to our developer portal so that we can each add 10 iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch, or iPod Touch 2g to our data base.......... IS THIS CORRECT?

I cannot afford to pay everyone back if this does not work so i need to be POSITIVE THAT THIS WILL WORK!!!!!

Will this absolutely positively work?????

Is there any special settings I need to select when registering? Is there ANYTHING else I need to know?????

Please Advise,
John

I really need advise... Please advise....

John

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I really need advise... Please advise....

John

My advice? Don't.... It is not ready for prime time and has crashed many times on mine. I have lost sound, had the ipod program crash numerous times and there is a lot of lag. It would be a waste of money....

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
OK. read the apple legalese in the dev sign up section.

If they allow it, then you can move forward to the next step, but it seems you can sign up as a individual or a corp. / company (which you need to provide proof to them that your company is a legal entity.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
Technically, you are correct. However, you can't afford to spare $100? Unless you're planning on developing for the iPhone you shouldn't be dabbling in this stuff...

TheMBC

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
You shouldn't have to pay them back. It's only $10 for them, they know what they're getting into.

But yes, it will work.

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Technically, you are correct. However, you can't afford to spare $100? Unless you're planning on developing for the iPhone you shouldn't be dabbling in this stuff...

I do plan to develop for the iPhone... I think I signed up as an individual today by mistake...

I started the process just to see what it was about last night. I came back today and hit learn more to continue reading where I left off last night (so I could better understand what is entailed). I did not enter a credit card last night or today but when I hit learn more it enrolled me... TALK ABOUT ODD!

It said to wait 24 hours for my activation email... I am panicking because maybe Apple had my credit card information from some other purchase I made... I am really not sure...

Anyway my friends and I pooled our money but I cannot afford to have made a mistake and pay them back... Money is very tight right now... Many people in m department have been laid off and management told me to expect to be gone in 2 weeks or less...

Anyway... Are you guys POSITIVE that with the individual program on the iPhone Dev Center I can add 100 UUIDs to my Portal and 100 of our iDevices (iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch, or iPod Touch 2G) can get the 3.0 beta software? Will I absolutely get the 3.0 beta having signed up?

I know many developers did not get the 2.0 or 2.1 betas...

PLEASE ADVISE (I am quite worried now),
John

-----------------------------

P.S. I see that people answered me above but I need to be certain with conformation... Even the same people can respond to this... Please address ALL 3 questions...

Will I ABSOLUTELY get the 3.0 beta having an individual $99 developer account?

Will I ABSOLUTELY be able to put the 3.0 beta on 100 different devices via UUID from the $99 developer account?

Is there ANYTHING else I should know?

Thank You So Very Much Guys,
John

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I recommend that you wait.

I was approached by another established developer and he basically sponsored me. I have helped him financially but at the same time not had to set up an account. He accepts my feedback and testing and I help him get apps into the store.

Once you learn the ropes, have the equity and knowledge then you can set yourself up as a company but do not use others to get there. They may have a better idea then you and you set them up for failure. Work with someone and establish yourself first then go out into the world when you can afford it on your own.

You can still be a part of the iphone world but do it responsibly!!!

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I recommend that you wait.

I was approached by another established developer and he basically sponsored me. I have helped him financially but at the same time not had to set up an account. He accepts my feedback and testing and I help him get apps into the store.

Once you learn the ropes, have the equity and knowledge then you can set yourself up as a company but do not use others to get there. They may have a better idea then you and you set them up for failure. Work with someone and establish yourself first then go out into the world when you can afford it on your own.

You can still be a part of the iphone world but do it responsibly!!!

Thank you for your input... The thing is... We all want the beta...
Also... I think I already joined the program... BY MISTAKE...
All I need to know is if...

Will I ABSOLUTELY be able to put the 3.0 beta on 100 different devices via UUID from the $99 developer account?

Thank You,
John

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Thank you for your input... The thing is... We all want the beta...
Also... I think I already joined the program... BY MISTAKE...
All I need to know is if...

Thank You,
John

Yes you will have access to the full 3.0 SDK and iPhone 3.)
You will have to determine how to send 3.0 to your other members. This should have been discussed prior to accepting their money.

You will either have to: 1) give them access to your developer account.
2) compress and email them the 3.0 update
3) have a torrent account and have them download from the account...not advisable.

Mine was sent to me via number 2.

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
You will have to determine how to send 3.0 to your other members. This should have been discussed prior to accepting their money.

3) have a torrent account and have them download from the account...not advisable.

Yes

Yes

AND

Yes

Thank you so much guys... I truly appreciate it... I was really concerned for a moment there... It is already worked out how I will send them the files... I will throw each beta into an encrypted ZIP and then into a password protected shared file on my MobileMe (Purchased before things got tight for me - seemed like a good idea at the time)...

Both the encrypted ZIP and the shared file will use different passwords...

Good Idea?
John

P.S. Sergiuria - I see that you said YES to question number three - which was what else do I need to know... That begs the question... What else do I need to know?

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
And...

Alright... We are in (by accident but still in)... :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity... It says allow 24 hours for your activation email to arrive... In my experience I usually get an email within 5 minutes when I am told it would take longer HOWEVER a few hours have gone by and I have not gotten the email yet... I know Apple has every right to make me wait 24 hours and rightfully so but this feels atypical to me... ;)

So again out of curiosity... How long did it take you guys to get your activation email...

Also I did not put in billing information... That is why I said I got in by accident... I suppose they maybe had it on file as it was my MobileMe account but I am not sure...

After you guys put in the activation code did you put in billing information or did it immediately activate your account? Are you billed when you request the activation code or are you billed after you put in the activation code?

To review please answer the following:
How long did it take you to get your activation email?
Do you put in billing information after you enter the activation code?
Do you get billed after you request the activation code or after you enter it?

Please Advise,
John

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Myself and two other buddies signed up and are going to start developing. We are just sharing one account. No need for 3 separate accounts in my opinion.

compg318

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Alright... We are in (by accident but still in)... :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity... It says allow 24 hours for your activation email to arrive... In my experience I usually get an email within 5 minutes when I am told it would take longer HOWEVER a few hours have gone by and I have not gotten the email yet... I know Apple has every right to make me wait 24 hours and rightfully so but this feels atypical to me... ;)

So again out of curiosity... How long did it take you guys to get your activation email...

Also I did not put in billing information... That is why I said I got in by accident... I suppose they maybe had it on file as it was my MobileMe account but I am not sure...

After you guys put in the activation code did you put in billing information or did it immediately activate your account? Are you billed when you request the activation code or are you billed after you put in the activation code?

To review please answer the following:
How long did it take you to get your activation email?
Do you put in billing information after you enter the activation code?
Do you get billed after you request the activation code or after you enter it?

Please Advise,
John

Your not in the program yet, on the activation page it will say in the bottom right "If you have not purchased.." or close to that. You will go to the online apple store and purchase it, they skipped that step for me too. Email will arrive in an hour or two after that.

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009

Yes

Yes

AND

Yes

Your not in the program yet, on the activation page it will say in the bottom right "If you have not purchased.." or close to that. You will go to the online apple store and purchase it, they skipped that step for me too. Email will arrive in an hour or two after that.

Ok thank you so much... I got quite worried I paid for something without realizing it and without knowing what card I put it on... I am glad to know I did not...

Thank you so much for the information... The pain is that I registered 4 hours ago or so and STILL not email... In fact, as ironic as it may be, I got an email 5 minutes after I "joined" informing me that the new Dev Program launched and I should join. It went on to tell me about all the benefits it has to offer... I ACTUALLY THOUGHT it was THE EMAIL... I got exited for a minute ;)... But I suppose it wasn't yet meant to be... :rolleyes:

I guess I just gotta wait it out... My friends say they do not mind waiting a day or two... I on the other hand am not as patient... :rolleyes:

Anyone else have a good email waiting story to tell?
John

compg318... Just to confirm...

after you were told to expect the activation email it NEVER came? You had to first buy it via the link on the bottom of the activation page before the email came?

Please Advise,
John

Anyone can jump on in here and confirm it...

Someone Please Do So,
John

stu212

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Hi john, im also thinking of joining the developer program im only 17 and i upgraded my phone without realiseing it wouldnt work.

How did you go about joining. i have the free sdk and have been messing around making a few apps but not relased anything yet.
Gonna make any apps with your 3.0 sdk?

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
If you didn't actually make a purchase of the Dev program license through the Apple online store, then you aren't in the program. You can sign up your account and get access to the 2.2.1 SDK and have a log-in on the ADC, yet not actually be IN the dev program. If you didn't pay, you're not in. You won't get an "activation email" unless you actually paid $99 to join the program.

If you did pay, it'll take probably anywhere from 4-12 hours to get the email. Also BEFORE you install the 3.0 beta on your phone MAKE SURE you've added your device to your dev account by entering the UUID number. Anyone you send the file too has to have their phone's UUID in the dev account as well or their phone will not work. Be careful.

agill81

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
iPhone App Beta Tester...

What if I am already doing beta testing for an Apple Dev user? My UUID was given to the Apple Dev user so I can beta test his app. Does that mean I would be able to download and beta test the 3.0 SDK?

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
What if I am already doing beta testing for an Apple Dev user? My UUID was given to the Apple Dev user so I can beta test his app. Does that mean I would be able to download and beta test the 3.0 SDK?

he would have to send you the 3.0 beta software somehow, but if your UUID is already registered in a dev account (as you say it is) then yeah you can run 3.0.

rhys.b

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
hey are u offering for people to give u thier udids?? i really would like to be a beta tester or just help out ay.

rhys.b

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
i tried to email u but it came back to me.. Im interested in helping you out mate. What do u need??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.