iphone dev site is down (again)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eyepon, Sep 28, 2010.

1. eyepon macrumors newbie

as of this writing, its really down (for maintenance)

maybe its more updates! because i really want to get out of my iphone 4 4.0.2 outta the f)%#(* box!

2. eyepon thread starter macrumors newbie

shoot. it just went up with no updates.... oh well, patience is a virtue

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

What a shame it's lacking in many of the thread starters.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

People, the Dev-Team blog is hosted by Tumblr. Any downtime is entirely due to Tumblr maintenance, not to anything the Dev-Team is doing. Besides, posting a release would not require ANY downtime; all it would be is a new blog post, which would appear instantly.

5. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Yes, sadly those without any knowledge of HTML seem to think a site must be taken offline to be updated. Every time Tumblr goes down, a large portion of readers assume a new release is immanent.

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

why are you on 4.0.2? dev team isn't planning on making anything for that firmware. you may as well switch to 4.1.

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

My guess is he needs to jailbreak to use the phone on his carrier.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No. This is very bad advice. The Dev Team has very explicitly said that people on 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 should not update to 4.1 until everything is known about the final release tools. It remains possible, however unlikely, that it might be very important not to have already updated.

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Unlike Apple which has an infinitely larger infrastructure and user base, my guess is that the dev team blog doesn't actually have to go down to update the site...

10. mrathee macrumors 6502

Not to mention that updating the Apple site likely requires packaging files from a staging server and moving it to the live server. A delicate procedure that requires files not to be in use so they can be replaced. This means the site has to go down.

Any blog-type site never needs to go down to update. A blog is a simple content management system that has a set framework to contain new posts. The dev-team simply needs to update with a new blog post and it will immediately be visible to the public.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Exactly. Blogs only go down when there is actual server maintenance, not for a routine update. They don't have to take down their home page to update their blog anymore than MacRumors has to take down its site every time it posts a new story on the front page.

12. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

my mistake. i didn't take the sim unlock into consideration since i'm on the att network.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It is dangerous to give advice based on incomplete knowledge or assumptions, especially when it can render people's $600 phones useless.

14. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

let's get dangerous!

[​IMG]