iPhone Device Upgrade Eligibility Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by egeek84, Apr 8, 2010.

1. egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

Hey guys,
    I still own an iphone 3G from when I signed up for ATT Wireless which was in January of 2009. With the announcement of OS 4.0 being announced and multitasking only being available with the 3GS, I have decided it's time to upgrade. However after checking my acccount, it looks like I won't be able to get the subsidized pricing. Here is what it tells me:

You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 06/24/2010

Select

iPhone Upgrade
    As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 06/24/2010

Does that mean that on June 24th, I will be able to pay like 199 for a 16gb 3GS? In another thread, I read something about having to have a plan thats 99 dollars or higher for 3 months. Does that mean I would have to be on a 99 or dollar plan 3 months prior to June 24th to get the discounted rate? I am so confused, please help me lol.

BTW if I click continue now, it lets me buy a 16GB 3GS for 399 dollars. Is that a discounted rate?

2. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Yes, but that also means you'll be able to upgrade to the next generation iPhone. It should launch sometime around that date. So I wouldn't buy a 3GS then only to realize that the next generation iPhone comes out the next day.

3. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

OK but question, my price plan is under 99 dollars a month. Does that mean I won't be eligible for subsidized pricing? My voice plan is 39.99, 30 dollars for iphone data plan, and 20 dollars unlimited txt which is under 99 dollars ;/

4. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Same as mine. You will be eligible. Don't worry. Its just that you should really hold off on getting an iPhone until you ARE eligible. Then its just a few days away from the next generation iPhone, and trust me, you will be happy you waited. And you mentioned before that you can buy a 16 gb iPhone 3GS for $399 USD, the subsidized price of the 16gb iPhone 3GS is $199 USD.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Nope, the average iPhone user on the primary line will be upgrade eligible in less than two years. To be upgrade eligible every year or 12 months you have to hit $99+/month. What your account is saying is that on or after 6/24/2010 you will be eligible for a FULL discount as if you were a new subscriber. Prior to the date noted in the previous sentence you will pay a higher price to upgrade - normally $200 USD more than the fully subsidized price.

6. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

But then how come in another thread im reading something about having to have a 99 dollar or higher price plan for the 3 months prior to your upgrade date? What is that about?

EDIT - Nevermind, im dumb. I understand now :) Thank you!

7. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

Got it, thank you.

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That's because the person will not be eligible near the date of the new iPhone release and they can't wait. So they are asking for a way to shorten their upgrade eligibility window.

**EDIT**
    Also, one thing to keep in mind - if the iPhone is released on say the 17th, you can go into a direct AT&T store and still get the upgrade at a full discount. Be careful though as some AT&T stores that have AT&T plastered everywhere are not true Direct AT&T retail stores - they're third party vendors. They will have to wait until your official upgrade date.

9. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

ok now it all makes sense, THANK YOU! :)