iPhone Devs: Kings or Paupers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlake02, Nov 8, 2008.

1. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Often we're curious how much money the average developer is making via the AppStore. We were lucky enough to get a nice dev to share some figures in this interview.

Seems he's done fairly well, but not as well as some highly publisized accounts.

Thanks to Jeremy for being so open!

2. firewood macrumors 604

The average is mostly a useless figure, as there may be almost no one who makes anything near the average amount. As in the classic 80/20 rule for anything, there are a few who make a lot more the average number, and most of the rest who make far less, if much at all.

3. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

Yep.. always interesting when a dev shares his/her income figures from the AppStore though :)

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I would bet that, if you broke down their time invested into an app and divided their income from that app by hours worked, most of them are making 3 bucks an hour or something like that.

5. firewood macrumors 604

It's not that easy to do yet, as one might have to wait months or years to determine the NPV of a declining but long term income stream. ( I have a couple PalmOS apps which I developed 5 years ago that still trickle in small amounts of income. Several years worth of small amounts eventually adds up to a nice number. :)