iphone Digital Audio out

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by VoR, Aug 11, 2010.

1. VoR macrumors 6502a

I've just bought an old iphone 3GS.

I want to plug it into my a/v receiver but I'm having issues finding a suitable product.
    I really want to use an optical/coax spdif connection to the receiver. It seems to be possible, onkyo have the NDS1 and wadia have a solution too.

Are these two products really the only way of getting digital output out of these phones/ipods? It looks as if transports like this need an apple authentication chip to get the raw audio out of them - I've done a bit of googling and can't believe that there's not some cheap chinese knockoff product that has an spdif out.

It's pretty much the only 'feature' I'm after from a dock, and I'm not hugely keen on spending £100+ on a small plastic box that simply does this.

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

3. VoR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've seen quite a few different products with line-out - and I'm really after a spdif connection to the device.

4. nd4speed macrumors member

The Wadia is easily the best solution, and it doesn't cost a fortune.

On the other hand I wouldn't be overly concerned about musical fidelity gains had through optical/coax: it's debatable how much fidelity you're really going to get out of compressed music anyway (unless possibly you're collection is lossless?).

5. VoR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response.

I did a bit of reading on the wadia, and while it's quite a decent bit of kit, I read that it suffers from a fair amount of jitter.
    I'm always concerned about value for money, and I'm suspicious that there's a fair premium for the build quality and previous exclusivity (before onkyo released their product).
    I understand that the iPhone/iPods are hardly the best music sources, even if my collection is all lossless, I'm simply after a sensibly priced dock that will output the raw music to a fairly decent sound system - and it looks like there's only these two products that will achieve this. I'm not really sure either is an ideal investment, and it looks to me that more competition is needed in this segment.

Hooray for 'made for iPhone'.....
    Irritating!

6. rdeloviar macrumors newbie

My set up for listening to music around the house:
    Itunes library on my Mac streams to an Apple Airport Express directly connected via SPDIF to my Denon receiver and controlled by "remote" app from my Iphone which I keep in my pocket while around the house.

7. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

8. VoR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've already got a similar setup with my library being streamed bit pefect to my receiver and controlled with the phone as a remote (not using itunes though).

As pointless and silly as it sounds, I just wanted (still want) a dock so I can put simply place my phone (or visitors) and play directly off it - I'm very happy with my setup already, just frustrates me that the hardware is capable and there's no (suitable to me) solutions.

9. dels macrumors member

Thanks for the Sendstation link. Just what I was looking for! Now my mini-USB chargers have a new life, and I can listen to my music on my living room setup!